Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skipping all this disappointment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abdi181

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Skipping all this disappointment Reply with quote

THe middle east is the most unstable region as far as rules, regulations, contracts etc. We hear the most craziest stories sometimes, A friend of mine knows a Man who is working with just a tefl cert in Dubai.

Anyway to my question, I have a US passport, BA in Social Science Teaching and a CELTA and some experience which country would it be possible for me to just cut a ticket and go and then do my own job searching. I know this is not possible in KSA because of strict visa guidelines. Im talking about Bahrain, Oman, UAE, Jordan

>??
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a good strategy; expecting to get a legit employment contract while on a visit or tourist visa isn't feasible in the Gulf. Plus, your minimal qualifications ("some experience" is quite vague) aren't likely to grab the attention of employers in the region. As for Jordan, there don't seem to be TEFL jobs posted for the country most likely because it produces many of its own very capable English language teachers.

Anyway, perhaps Egypt is a more realistic goal for you in terms of job hunting while in country; I suggest scouring through the Egypt forum. There's also AMIDEAST for possible job openings.

BTW, I wouldn't label the Mid East as "unstable" in regard to rules, regs, and such. Those funky accounts written within these forums tend to be about sketchy recruiters/contractors as well as some very poorly-managed English language programs/departments. No place is perfect, but the majority of teaching situations and environments don't fit this label.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Oman, UAE,Bahrain, KSA. Qatar and Kuwait this is NOT an option. Even if you could get in, you would have to leave to process your employment visa etc
abdi181

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your expertise guys, this is why were here Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: