Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yen in 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Almond_Lover



Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Abdullah the Enforcer"]
Pitarou wrote:
Abdullah the Enforcer wrote:

I really don't understand what's going on with your posts.


= You got some 'splainin' to do, Abdullah!

Abdullah has a yen for yen. Clear now, economically speaking.?


Since when did they start allowing Muslims into Japan?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Inflames



Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 418

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:

Even the best, most sophisticated, successful currency speculators are, in principle, no different from card counters at casinos. If you asked a card counter, "Should I put all my money on this next card?" how do you think they would answer?

Don't even think about playing the markets, unless you're in the mood for gambling. Start thinking about minimising your risks.


In general I agree that currency speculators are going to lose money but the best people aren't speculators - they're generally millionaires working for banks.

Most currency trading outfits online are such a scam. In fact, most of them are your trade counterparty (this means they are the other side to your trade - you lose money and they make it).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pitarou



Joined: 16 Nov 2009
Posts: 1043
Location: Narita, Japan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflames wrote:
Pitarou wrote:

Even the best, most sophisticated, successful currency speculators are, in principle, no different from card counters at casinos. If you asked a card counter, "Should I put all my money on this next card?" how do you think they would answer?

Don't even think about playing the markets, unless you're in the mood for gambling. Start thinking about minimising your risks.


In general I agree that currency speculators are going to lose money but the best people aren't speculators - they're generally millionaires working for banks.

Most currency trading outfits online are such a scam. In fact, most of them are your trade counterparty (this means they are the other side to your trade - you lose money and they make it).
I don't want to insult you, Inflames, but you seem to be very confused.

"speculator" is a technical term, not a term of disparagement. Those millionaires working for banks that you were talking about and the speculators I'm talking about are one and the same.

My point about speculators is that even the successful ones can't make the kinds of predictions the original poster is hoping for. Like card counters, they have an edge, but the edge is small. They're often wrong. They can only win by making lots of small bets, and the original questioner isn't playing that kind of game.

I don't understand your point about online currency traders. As far as I know they're all transaction counterparties, and there's nothing scammy about that. I can't imagine what else you were expecting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rxk22



Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 1224

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With QE3 in the US potentially going on forever, i doubt the yen will weaken in comparison. that, if the Japanese devalue the yen, it will hurt the consumers. It will make ALL prices rise, potentially significantly. not sure if the Japanese govt has the stones to go through with it. As it would be GREAT for the manufacturing segment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pitarou



Joined: 16 Nov 2009
Posts: 1043
Location: Narita, Japan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
With QE3 in the US potentially going on forever, i doubt the yen will weaken in comparison. that, if the Japanese devalue the yen, it will hurt the consumers. It will make ALL prices rise, potentially significantly. not sure if the Japanese govt has the stones to go through with it. As it would be GREAT for the manufacturing segment.
So basically, what you're saying is: this can't go on. Therefore, it must stop sometime. But you haven't said when, and you haven't said where the chips will fall. That and 100 yen gets you an onigiri at your nearest convenience store.

Come back when you have a timeframe, and some predictions about who the winners and losers will be. Then, two things can happen. Either:

1. You will join the long list of economists whose predictions turned out to be wrong.

or

2. You will join the slightly shorter list of economists whose early predictions weren't too far off the mark, but who then went on to disappoint.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Abdullah the Enforcer



Joined: 26 Aug 2012
Posts: 42
Location: In a hole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almond_Lover wrote:
Since when did they start allowing Muslims into Japan?


Eh? Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rxk22



Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 1224

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:


Come back when you have a timeframe, and some predictions about who the winners and losers will be. Then, two things can happen. Either:

1. You will join the long list of economists whose predictions turned out to be wrong.

or

2. You will join the slightly shorter list of economists whose early predictions weren't too far off the mark, but who then went on to disappoint.


Ok, I will take your call out. Economics is like predicting the weather, as it entails many factors that we still as of yet can not calculate.

I say for 2013, the yen will stay strong, and will stay with in the 79-85 range for the year.
Now, how will the govt deal with that? I have no guess.

BTW, what do you mean by winners and losers? The losers will be the the Japanese export companies. The winners will be companies and banks that bankroll or buy companies overseas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat_chris



Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 3135

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abdullah the Enforcer wrote:
Almond_Lover wrote:
I hope so as I owe my college an arm, a leg, and a firstborn.


Abdulla wonder: Indefinite article with "first born"? Seriously?


Fat One wonder: why Abdullah not spell own name correctly.

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Abdullah the Enforcer



Joined: 26 Aug 2012
Posts: 42
Location: In a hole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
Abdullah the Enforcer wrote:
Almond_Lover wrote:
I hope so as I owe my college an arm, a leg, and a firstborn.


Abdulla wonder: Indefinite article with "first born"? Seriously?


Fat One wonder: why Abdullah not spell own name correctly.

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris


Same reason fat one no know capitalization or punctuation rules. Abdullah/Abdulla same-same correct spelling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pitarou



Joined: 16 Nov 2009
Posts: 1043
Location: Narita, Japan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abdullah the Enforcer wrote:
fat_chris wrote:
Abdullah the Enforcer wrote:
Almond_Lover wrote:
I hope so as I owe my college an arm, a leg, and a firstborn.


Abdulla wonder: Indefinite article with "first born"? Seriously?


Fat One wonder: why Abdullah not spell own name correctly.

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris


Same reason fat one no know capitalization or punctuation rules. Abdullah/Abdulla same-same correct spelling.

I think Chris's point is that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

But I still don't get you, Abdullah. Why these random acts of pedantry? If there's a point you're trying to make, it's totally lost on me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Abdullah the Enforcer



Joined: 26 Aug 2012
Posts: 42
Location: In a hole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If there's a point you're trying to make, it's totally lost on me.


Abdullah like J-gurl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat_chris



Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 3135

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abdullah the Enforcer wrote:
Same reason fat one no know capitalization or punctuation rules. Abdullah/Abdulla same-same correct spelling.


The capitalization and punctuation look fine.

*YAWN* OK, I'm getting bored now.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Argofoto



Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments... I suppose all I can do is keep my fingers crossed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pitarou



Joined: 16 Nov 2009
Posts: 1043
Location: Narita, Japan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argofoto wrote:
Thanks for all the comments... I suppose all I can do is keep my fingers crossed
You probably missed it in all the mudslinging, but I did make a concrete recommendation: divide your savings between $ and yen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Abdullah the Enforcer



Joined: 26 Aug 2012
Posts: 42
Location: In a hole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
You probably missed it in all the mudslinging...


Abdullah learn correck spilling of name! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC