Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Returning to Japan on a budget.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinnn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Returning to Japan on a budget. Reply with quote

Basically, I left Japan a few months ago and already miss it like crazy. I knew when I left that getting back there again could be a nightmare because of the strength of the yen against the pound. I also know I`ll need enough money to survive in Japan for 3 months as well as the flight. I worked out that it will come to about 5-6 thousand pounds minimum! (It was half that in 2006) I may not return until next July, but what will my options be for getting back to work in Japan with less money than the aforementioned estimate?
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what will my options be for getting back to work in Japan with less money than the aforementioned estimate?
I see this as a 2-part question. Are you more concerned about the financial end, or the job hunting?

Job hunting will not change. Coming in July means most jobs will already have been taken (by April) and will already be underway (so many/most who want to bail out of bad situations may have already done so).

I recall your avatar name, but I don't know your background. What is your education and work history, and what are you hoping to get? Any other limitations (e.g., location, salary)?
robinnn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently decided to return in March 2014 after just visiting Japan next July to keep my visa.

I was working in Japan for 6 years, mostly as an ALT. Currently have an eikaiwa type job in Spain. I�m mainly concerned about finances rather than job hunting because I might be able to return to my old company. I guess it�s a little to soon to predict the economic situation in 2014.

Any input would be great!
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinnn wrote:
Recently decided to return in March 2014 after just visiting Japan next July to keep my visa.

I was working in Japan for 6 years, mostly as an ALT.
How do you mean, "to keep my visa"? Unless you are working, it will run out by a certain date. When is that? Just returning to Japan won't keep it active if you aren't working.

Quote:
Currently have an eikaiwa type job in Spain. I�m mainly concerned about finances rather than job hunting because I might be able to return to my old company.
Are they going to wait until 2014?
robinnn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My visa will be cancelled if I don�t return to Japan within a year of leaving, immigration�s words, not mine. It will be valid until Sep 2014 unless I don�t return next July or earlier. Also, my old company are not expecting me to return at all at the moment. The question is will they still exist in 2014? If I return in 2014 and they still exist, and they remember who I am there is a chance they may re-hire me pretty quickly. But it�s all a bit too early to say.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so you left without a reentry permit and have a year to return. ok. So, you come back, do...what exactly?

and then leave again for roughly a year, is that your plan?
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinnn wrote:
My visa will be cancelled if I don�t return to Japan within a year of leaving, immigration�s words, not mine. It will be valid until Sep 2014 unless I don�t return next July or earlier. Also, my old company are not expecting me to return at all at the moment. The question is will they still exist in 2014? If I return in 2014 and they still exist, and they remember who I am there is a chance they may re-hire me pretty quickly. But it�s all a bit too early to say.

I doubt anyone can tell you whether your company will still be there! The best thing to do would be to contact them a few months before you are hoping to return, and see what the situation is. If you're happy with ALT work, which I imagine would be through a dispatch company, I'd say your chances of having a job on return are good - if you are prepared to return for the April start. You have six years experience in Japan and a valid work visa.

Basically, save money and plan on returning. I don't think ALT work is going to disappear in the next two years.
thomthom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of lifestyle are you expecting to live on if �5-6k is your budget for 3 months? I'm coming to Japan with �2500-3000 WITH an immediate job to go into, but I'm assuming that will be enough to cover me for up to three months before I receive my first full pay check. I know Japan is the most expensive place in the world but I don't envisage paying much more than �600 a month on my rent, at least not when staying in a gaijin house.
kathrynoh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanted to do it super cheap, some backpacker hostels have deals where you can work for a free room. It'd be in a dorm with other backpackers but it'd be a cheap option until you find a job. You'd probably even be able to work night/weekend shifts so be free for interviews during the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: