Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moscow winter coat shopping
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ex-military greatcoat would do the trick - Шинель.

Very stylish. Great protection against the cold. Get saluted by the militisia. Be ready for when the decadent piggies invade.

http://www.grantsmilitaria.com/gall/pix/images/02.jpg
corniche

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kazachka wrote:
corniche wrote:
A Russian bought my almost new Tommy Hilfiger down-filled parka for 100 cad. She said she had never seen anything like it, that in Irkutsk the coats were so different, fur and pearls Shocked

My problem was not so much the coat, but the boots...nothing could keep my feet dry and warm going through the cold and snow and then the slush.

Sorels- they have a model called the Caribou you can get the one rated to -40 or -100F. I had the -100 model when I lived in Fairbanks,Alaska because we did get into the -50s. They had a very thick extra sock liner inside. I alternated between them and my mukluks but mukluks are only for dry cold-no wet slush. There are also bunny boots but they are butt ugly. Guys who work on the oil rigs on the North Slope go with Sorels and or bunny boots. Boots like those would stand up to the -40s or so they get in Irkutsk.

Ugh, I had those things while all the other girls were wearing pointy-toed. spiked heel booties. I didn't fall down, but I spent a very lonely winter.
Nexus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazachka - many thanks for the "wiggle" link. Very useful indeed. I was just about to head out to the shops for some warm, winter running gear but I'll use that site now.
kazachka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corniche wrote:
kazachka wrote:
corniche wrote:
A Russian bought my almost new Tommy Hilfiger down-filled parka for 100 cad. She said she had never seen anything like it, that in Irkutsk the coats were so different, fur and pearls Shocked

My problem was not so much the coat, but the boots...nothing could keep my feet dry and warm going through the cold and snow and then the slush.

Sorels- they have a model called the Caribou you can get the one rated to -40 or -100F. I had the -100 model when I lived in Fairbanks,Alaska because we did get into the -50s. They had a very thick extra sock liner inside. I alternated between them and my mukluks but mukluks are only for dry cold-no wet slush. There are also bunny boots but they are butt ugly. Guys who work on the oil rigs on the North Slope go with Sorels and or bunny boots. Boots like those would stand up to the -40s or so they get in Irkutsk.

Ugh, I had those things while all the other girls were wearing pointy-toed. spiked heel booties. I didn't fall down, but I spent a very lonely winter.

Pointy toe heels =deformed and frozen feet and that's just for starters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kazachka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus wrote:
Kazachka - many thanks for the "wiggle" link. Very useful indeed. I was just about to head out to the shops for some warm, winter running gear but I'll use that site now.

No problem Smile There is ONE halfway decent running shop out in the Izmailovo hotel complex and the folks that work there know their stuff-
run.365.ru
but still cheaper to BYO or order from abroad. A friend of mine scored a pair of Salomon Spikecross on Wiggle back in August (for the winter of course) for 1900 rub! They run about 150-70$ in the US!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nexus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I know run.365

Here's another one that I came across recently:

http://www.runlab.ru/

It only opened recently and it doesn't seem fully stocked yet but they have some good stuff and the staff are very friendly and helpful (as well as knowing their stuff). It's the only place I've seen in Moscow that lets you try the shoes out on a treadmill in the shop - as well as having all the gait analysis software.
njs7t3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to coats. Can someone tell me where this rynok is? Metro stop at least.
Nexus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, back to boring coats!

The thread was about the rynok at Metro Konkovo, Orange line south. The rynok is right at the metro exit. 2 buildings, all indoors, massive selection.

Lots of sheepskin coats which are probably the warmest but you'll sweat like a farm animal when you're in and out of the metro (and they're bulky to carry). You should be able to get down filled ones too.

You'll probably hear a load of "special price just for you, my friend" nonsense, especially from the Azeris, but expect to pay inflated "foreigner" prices. Alternatively, get one with a printed price tag on it from a mall.

Anyway, if you haven't got a winter coat yet, you should get your skates on (no pun intended)!
kazachka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a coat by now you really should get one. It's been parked in the -20s in Moscow for the last week or so with no near end in sight.
njs7t3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't I know it. And I have a coat, it's just not quite warm enough.
rattie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a slightly insane suggestion but I enjoyed three Harbin China winters in a coat I bought for 700rmb during the first week the daytime temperatures fell below -20. I would go out at night, walk my dog, 20 minute stumble slide to classes in pre dawn freeze each day and loved that coat. It actually looked fashionable, was lightweight a mixture of down and polyester filled, pretty fur lined hood (I'm female) deep pockets, wind flap under the front zip, honestly designed for arctic winters. Harbin is crowded with Siberian shoppers each Autumn filling suitcases to take back home with winter gear to sell.
Why not use a three or four day break to fly to Harbin, buy a few coats, different colours, sizes, styles, suitable for males and females, and keep the one you like best, sell the others to recoup your travel costs?
Just an idea?
Rx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: