Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

official date of work-visit visa validity?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teachr11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wantok wrote:
A little prelim research before you appeal for opinions from secondary sources here might be advised!

I am so sorry to waste your valuable time.
This website is terrible. They have NO information on the ins and outs of anything other than alien visas and iqamas.

wantok wrote:
3. INTERIOR is for iqamas, and they also handle Saudi passports. If you're caught with an illegal visa and don't have an iqama, that's INTERIOR's concern exclusively. (Maybe your embassy's also!)

Hmmm.. kind of makes me want to go to the Ministry of Interior, just to see if they would immediately arrest me and throw me out of the country. What an exciting way to depart! Wink

Barbaros wrote:
Here is my interpretation of the validity of the entry work/business visa according to the Arabic text:

1. The validity of the entry visa is 3 months from the date of issue (you have 90 days to enter the Magic Kingdom).
2. The validity of your stay in the Magic Kingdom is 90 days from the date of entry stamp in your passport (assuming that your entry visa above is still valid).

Did not the entry visa in your passport have two dates, one for the validity of the visa (90 days), and the other for the allowed period of stay?

OK, so what you're saying is:
Validity: 90 Days - this means I have 90 days to fly from US to KSA.
Duration of Stay: 90 Days - this means I can stay in KSA for 90 days until my visa expires.

Thank you so much for clarifying. If this is indeed true, then I am very happy. Smile
I have no idea, then, why both my employer and the Saudi Embassy in the U.K. claim otherwise (that the visa is valid for 90 days after issuance in home country.) So weird...
strangerthanparadise

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are allowed to work on a temporary work visa(some people call it wotk visit visa, don't know why)which comes with a multiple exit/re-entry. you have to leave the country every 30 days to have your pp stamped: out and back in again, bahrain is an option, go out, make a u-turn and go back in again. having said that, mofa has put all twv-s on hold for an indefinite period of time. your employer has the choice to bring you in on an employment visa, or, alternatively, on a business visit visa. we all know the pros and cons of both types of visas.
teachr11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strangerthanparadise wrote:
you are allowed to work on a temporary work visa(some people call it wotk visit visa, don't know why)which comes with a multiple exit/re-entry. you have to leave the country every 30 days to have your pp stamped: out and back in again, bahrain is an option, go out, make a u-turn and go back in again. having said that, mofa has put all twv-s on hold for an indefinite period of time. your employer has the choice to bring you in on an employment visa, or, alternatively, on a business visit visa. we all know the pros and cons of both types of visas.

That's for a 90-30 visit visa. I have a 90-90, meaning I don't have to do the monthly Bahrain trip.

The fundamental question is, for HOW LONG do I get the multiple entry status? Rather, does it expire 90 days after arrival, or 90 days after the visa was issued back home?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strangerthanparadise wrote:
you are allowed to work on a temporary work visa(some people call it wotk visit visa, don't know why)

While your employer "allows" you to work, it is still NOT a work visa and you are working illegally and have exactly ZERO legal rights.

Some people call it a "work/visit/business" visa because it is called various things by various employers and teachers, but it is NOT a "work" visa - temporary or otherwise.

Yes, many cheap shady employers use them and the government ignores them. It is a way to get their "teacher slaves" into the country quickly and cheaply.

Just be aware that there are some risks to this new little game that the employers are using to get teachers - thus far mostly involving only a loss of pay.

Quote:
The fundamental question is, for HOW LONG do I get the multiple entry status? Rather, does it expire 90 days after arrival, or 90 days after the visa was issued back home?

Since these are such a new and more than borderline illegal way to get teachers, I would guess that there is no answer to this. Or the answer is the usual "however the bureaucrat on the other side of the desk CHOOSES to interpret it." Always assume the least beneficial to yourself because that is how it works.

I repeat... with this type of visa you have NO legal rights. They will do as they please and you have no recourse. The only advantage for you in this system is that when you are sick and tired of their games, you can do a final exit when they aren't paying attention although that will invariably involve a loss of a certain amount of pay.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachr11:

Visas are valid from the date of issue, but as I mentioned in my previous post, your visa expiration date is what you should be paying more attention to. Also, be aware the Hijra (Islamic) calendar is used for official Saudi government business---something to consider, especially when you're determining expiration dates. (This calendar consists of 354 or 355 annual days as opposed to 365 for the Gregorian version.) In fact, you may want to be conservative when calculating expiration dates if none are indicated. You can easily find a calendar date converter on the Internet.
wantok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSA's Hijra calendar some years is ever so slightly offset fore or aft from other "common" Hijra calendars. It is this official inspired calendar that is honoured in Officialdom to the rigorous exclusion of others.

Be very certain that the internet resource's date conversion is consistent with this "eccentric" calendar.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saudi Calendar:

http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gent0113/islam/ummalqura.htm

Regards,
John
wantok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant research, johnslat!

Nota bene: [The] Umm al-Qura calendar is often criticized by other Muslim communities who base their calendar on the actual sighting of the lunar crescent (hilāl). Especially around the month of fasting (Ramaḍān) and the month of pilgrimage (Dhū �l-Ḥijja) the Umm al-Qura calendar often causes confusion when the dates observed by different Muslim communities for these major Islamic festivals are found to differ by one, two or even three days.

I'll table that for a Sticky. Aye or Nay?

Some hon Members: Oh, Oh!
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done john s

Reading the website I am reminded that the date changes at sunset, not as is conventional in the West at midnight.

It is interesting that this was also the convention n the classical world - and I assume univesral until clocks became as common as they are today.
gelynch52ph

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: OBE Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear wantok,

I can't decide which one OBE means:

What is OBE?

OBE is "Overcome By Events" or "Out of Body Experience" or "Order of the British Empire"

http://www.internetslang.com/OBE-meaning-definition.asp

Regards,
John

Odor, Body, Extreme (that would be the US Military description)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: