Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

murder in Medan
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mitsui



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 616
Location: Kawasaki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: murder in Medan Reply with quote

A representative from Longman was killed in Medan. He was going to do teacher training there. His name is Sam Lee and he worked for Longman in Seoul.

If anyone has information on what the police are doing in finding the murderer, please post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tudor



Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local English-language press (Jakarta Post, Jakarta Globe) have been covering this. Sadly, on the basis of what I read in Saturday's paper, the authorities in Medan seem more concerned about the impact this will have on the region's tourist industry than the fact that someone has lost their life, and that there are murderers on the loose.

Check out their websites:-

http://www.thejakartapost.com/

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
limakaki



Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 11
Location: Asia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really sad thing is that he was only stabbed in the leg, but still died. Perhaps the hospital would have tried harder had he been of a different ethnic group...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chezal



Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 146

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limakaki wrote:
The really sad thing is that he was only stabbed in the leg, but still died. Perhaps the hospital would have tried harder had he been of a different ethnic group...



My friend's wife works at Santa Elisabeth Hospital and was there when he was admitted. She said he was cut up pretty bad and had lost a lot of blood before he got to the hospital. They did all they could to try and save him. I'm presuming the main artery had been cut hence the severe blood loss. It wasn't a case of him being the wrong ethic group at all.

It appears it was a botched robbery. He was in a becak when the attempted robbery happened after having just left the airport. He was held up by 2 men with machetes on a motorbike. It was during the struggle to stop it happening that he was critically injured.

According to an Indonesian report (portalkriminal.com) 4 special investigation units (Polsekta New Medan teams and North Sumatra Police teams) are investigating the case and have already questioned a number of witnesses. It also said they are working closely with the American Consulate in Medan.

Sad thing to happen. My condolences to his family and friends for their loss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mitsui



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 616
Location: Kawasaki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a becak?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chezal



Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 146

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A becak is a motorcycle with a side car.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
limakaki



Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 11
Location: Asia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chezal wrote:

My friend's wife works at Santa Elisabeth Hospital and was there when he was admitted. She said he was cut up pretty bad and had lost a lot of blood before he got to the hospital. They did all they could to try and save him. I'm presuming the main artery had been cut hence the severe blood loss. It wasn't a case of him being the wrong ethic group at all.


I suppose if his femoral artery had been sliced open and everybody just stood around before taking him to hospital, it might have been beyond the skills of Indonesian medical staff to save him. Lucky he wasn't black - they would have let him bleed to death on the street.

Condolences to family and friends. A tragic and unnecessary death...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dxn283



Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tragedy of his death shouldn't be taken as a reflection on visiting or living in Indonesia generally. I've lived in and traveled throughout Indonesia for several years without ever feeling in any particular danger ( public transport drivers and fellow motorcyclists aside . . .). i've ridden my motorcycle from Padang to Timor (albeit in stages and with some help from the occasional ferry) and have mostly encountered only friendliness and incredulity from locals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
limakaki



Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 11
Location: Asia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxn283 wrote:
The tragedy of his death shouldn't be taken as a reflection on visiting or living in Indonesia generally. I've lived in and traveled throughout Indonesia for several years without ever feeling in any particular danger ( public transport drivers and fellow motorcyclists aside . . .). i've ridden my motorcycle from Padang to Timor (albeit in stages and with some help from the occasional ferry) and have mostly encountered only friendliness and incredulity from locals.


A agree. I've been here a couple of years and have always felt very safe oin a personal level
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ragil



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxn283, padang to timor, congrats. thinking of doing something similar myself. from padang did you go through jambi-palembang etc. or is there another way. either way, how was the road? anything to watch out for / places to avoid or look for?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkeyhijau



Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Location: JAKARTA, INDONESIA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Medan Reply with quote

I wonder how many people have been attacked on becaks in Medan. I too was robbed on a becak leaving a shopping mall in 2006. I didn't resist and just gave up my bag. But I'm beginning to think this is a larger problem than the authorities of Medan would like to admit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KopiKopi



Joined: 01 May 2011
Posts: 49

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: So sad... Reply with quote

My ex-housemate was always murdered in Indonesia. The police did not really investigate at all. But Indonesia is a dangerous place to live -- not that I would suggest that anyone avoid working there, but be careful. NYC is a dangerous place to live, too. Just be smart.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tudor



Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: So sad... Reply with quote

KopiKopi wrote:
My ex-housemate was always murdered in Indonesia. The police did not really investigate at all. But Indonesia is a dangerous place to live -- not that I would suggest that anyone avoid working there, but be careful. NYC is a dangerous place to live, too. Just be smart.


Really? That's terrible - how many times was he murdered in total?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
52skidoo



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Location: Taiwan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: So sad... Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:
KopiKopi wrote:
My ex-housemate was always murdered in Indonesia. The police did not really investigate at all. But Indonesia is a dangerous place to live -- not that I would suggest that anyone avoid working there, but be careful. NYC is a dangerous place to live, too. Just be smart.


Really? That's terrible - how many times was he murdered in total?


I am guessing KopiKopi is Indonesian. In Indonesian language the word, pernah, doesn't doesn't translate very well into English, it's a common error.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tudor



Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: So sad... Reply with quote

52skidoo wrote:
Tudor wrote:
KopiKopi wrote:
My ex-housemate was always murdered in Indonesia. The police did not really investigate at all. But Indonesia is a dangerous place to live -- not that I would suggest that anyone avoid working there, but be careful. NYC is a dangerous place to live, too. Just be smart.


Really? That's terrible - how many times was he murdered in total?


I am guessing KopiKopi is Indonesian. In Indonesian language the word, pernah, doesn't doesn't translate very well into English, it's a common error.


Well, judging by this thread (as well as a couple of others which say 'back to the US'), I'd guess that he's American.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=90781&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Nevertheless, you can rest assured that your acute observation was well worth resurrectung a five-month old thread for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC