Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA TESOL dissertation help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benny2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: MA TESOL dissertation help Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I recently posted a link to a questionnaire for a research project I was working on for my MA TESOL. The topic was based on the different preferences that Chinese and International teachers have for different teaching methodologies and techniques, with the emphasis being on communicative language teaching.

The time has now come for me to write a research proposal for my dissertation.

My previous research project largely yielded the results I expected. On the whole, International teachers practice a stronger version of CLT than Chinese teachers. However, Chinese teachers do place a strong emphasis on certain aspects of CLT, whilst the nature of the examination system and traditional teaching preferences means that they have a greater use for grammar translation methods and explicit explanation of grammar rules than International teachers based in the Chinese context.
I am interested in continuing with the CLT theme for my dissertation. I am interested in how the gap between classes taught by Chinese teachers and International teachers could be better bridged to provide stronger scaffolding to guide learners more effectively so that they develop better communicative skills.
I would welcome and be very thankful for any suggestions for problems you experience relating to this area, any areas you think would be worth investigating, and how improvements could be made.
Many thanks for any help with this. I may be back again with an online questionnaire at some stage!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you comparing Chinese teachers teachers teaching English, with FTs doing the same thing or are you including the teaching of aspects of English ie drama, poetry, prose? This occurs with English majors.
I had a salutary experience when a sophomore English major who I was teaching in an Oral English class fronted my apartment and asked for help with her essay on Shylock.
I had no idea the class was studying English language drama much less the Merchant of Venice.
If only I had known about it I would have asked students to select scenes and perform them.
This was in 2004 and the student and I are still in contact and still chuckle about it from time to time.
benny2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Non Sequitur,

Shylock...Smile

my previous project compared the differences between Chinese teachers and FTs teaching English. I'm trying to decide how to tackle the issues concerning CLT in China within a new project. I'm trying to establish what would be a good line of enquiry for investigation, and am considering going with:

'Can CLT be adequately integrated with traditional Chinese teaching techniques to improve communicative competence amongst Chinese learners?'

Any suggestions regarding details that I should be investigating would be appreciated.

Thanks Benny
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate I'll have a think about what my exp could offer
NS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: