Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher Accomodation in Yangon (conclusion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfinna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Saya!

Perhaps should not have addressed the post to you so directly, as it then looked like I was quoting only you. Those quotes by others on the thread above were just to highlight the kind of comments collectively on the thread/topic that haven't been all that helpful. My thinking was that anyone reading this thread would start at the top and see that I had quoted various people. Should have quoted better, my bad.

You took a h*ll of a stab at nailing things down. I know I put you on the spot.

For what it's worth, posted some less than accurate info on Laos a while back and was taken to task for it. Was just trying to help out. Didn't feel great, but the board ultimately benefited from it as more accurate info was ultimately produced.

Back to Myanamar,

This information paints a much clearer picture. Calculating 20 dollars for each amenity/extra is pretty clever considering all the possible variance. Prices will vary according to cleanliness, age and overall condition, but that's true everywhere.

I think you (we?) have nailed down the lower end of the apartment market with some concrete (pun intended) figures and many tangible extras/specifics such that people will have a better idea of value for money in this price range. Great!

Have looked at a few places with identical dimensions and layout to my place. Would it be safe to say that 20 x 60 with front and back balcony and kitchen, toilet and shower in the back is something of a Yangon standard? From looking at the outside of buildings around the city would guess that's true, but have not been here that long nor have I seen the inside of that many places. From the outside they all look to be the same as mine.

If, as I suspect, this is a standard size and layout for many apartments (minus possible walls to partition the space), might be helpful for others to know this. We could then further say that standard Yangon concrete box style as described in my earlier post is at the low end at roughly 100-200 (no furnishings/amenities/extras) with the price increasing to 300 or even 450 depending on the presence of additional furnishings/amenities/extras, as you have listed above, and overall condition, cleanliness and age. Don't know, maybe everybody knows these dimensions and layout are standard, but it might paint an even clearer picture for new folks.

As I think you said, what would also be really helpful would be for all of us to post what we pay for our places and what we got or what we've seen of others apartments. Perhaps others will do this.

Thanks again for your help. Have a couple more questions that will post on your other thread. Fresh out of crazy pills, so should be pretty brief!

Last edited by mfinna on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
deessell2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know that internet connectivity is getting better there, guys! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: