Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online certification to teach in Istanbul

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hindinwood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Online certification to teach in Istanbul Reply with quote

Hello all!

I am a first time poster, so I hope I'm observing the proper forum etiquette. I have searched extensively on here as well as other sites for the answer to this question, so I apologize if it's already been covered:

Will an online TESOL certificate with a 20 hour teaching practicum be accepted at most schools at Istanbul? I know that CELTA is preferred, but I have a full-time job and haven't been able to find anywhere in my area (Los Angeles) that offers classes that would work with my schedule. I considered doing a CELTA course in Istanbul, but then of course the problem is that I would have to return to LA to await my work visa and I can't afford that.

The company I'm looking at specifically is ontesol.com. I'm also not sure if the 100 hours will suffice or if I need to do the 250. My educational background is a BS in film (I know...), and I also have a bit of professional experience with both writing and teaching children, if that helps at all.

Teachers, if you have had experience with this scenario please share! I'm sure this is a common question, and it will probably be helpful to others.

Lauren
oipivo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really not difficult to find work here. The online TESOL/TEFL/CELTA courses are generally a waste of time. I would advise not bothering to get one. If you want a certificate do it right and take a face to face course. That way when you realize that you want to go somewhere else, you can!

EDIT- Just adding to clarify that it's not generally necessary to have a CELTA/TEFL cert. here. It's nice if you have no other qualifications, but certainly not 100% needed. If you plan on moving to another country after Turkey, get a certificate through a face to face program.
Hindinwood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback Oipivo. The issue is, the face to face courses are really not an option for the reasons I mentioned above. I would have to be out of work for months, and I can't afford that.

So would you suggest just not getting a certificate at all, and trying to find a job there anyway? It's strange that none of the schools differentiate between online and in-person certification in their job descriptions...

The whole thing is quite confusing.
delal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Want a work permit? Reply with quote

If you don't want work permit then you can turn up without a tefl of any kind and go knockıng on the doors of language schools ın the bıg cities and eventually supplement your earnings with prıvate lessons
If you want a work permit-your best bet to get one is probably working at a K-12 school-you need a TEFL of some kind, be it online or face-to face. Unless there's competition for a job at a particular school, it doesn't really matter from a paperwork point of view.
That said, private schools can sometimes fake/doctor qualifications for some teachers and get them work permits anyway. I know someone who finished barely high school in the US who has no degree but who has managed to secure themselves a niche in a private school (and is now also writing TEFL coursebooks (go figure)
FYI You are probably not in the running for a uni job. I say probably as there may be a uni desperate -for whatever reason-to fill a teaching slot
So:it can be pretty random but with some basic guidelines to what should probably be the way forward for a newbie
Hindinwood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo, does anyone have an opinion on the 100 hour course (with 20 hour practicum) vs. the 250 hour course, as far as securing a job in advance with a work visa in Turkey? Any personal experience?

I am still having a really hard time deciding, and haven't seen anything online that pertains to my specific situation...
oipivo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really advise against finding a job before you arrive in Turkey. It's best to show up and find work once you're here. Most schools won't hire teachers before they arrive and the ones that do often aren't worth working for. You can't get a residence permit or a work permit before you arrive anyway, so you're better off showing up and finding work. Yes, it's scary, but unfortunately it's the norm in this business.
Hindinwood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I've read says that if you are going to get a work permit, it must be applied for in your home country (the US)...have you had a different experience? I would rather secure a job in advance if possible so I don't just spend all my savings there trying to find work, or working part time.

That's not to say that I would necessarily be qualified for a school that would sponsor said permit, but I would like to at least try. So if anyone has thoughts on 100+practicum vs. 250 incl. practicum I would love to hear!
oipivo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not true at all. You don't have to apply for a work permit from your home country. Everything is done here by the school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: