Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zirve University and Bahcesehir

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caterinamh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Zirve University and Bahcesehir Reply with quote

Interested in knowing if anyone has gone through the interview process with either of these schools? Please share.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Caterinamh,

As nobody else has replied to your post, I'll send you a few snippets I've gleaned from hearsay (friends in Turkey), but have not gone through the interview process myself.

Bahcesehir University is a comparatively new private university (opened 2000) based in Istanbul, and with two campuses in Besiktas and Mecidiyekoy. There is an English Preparatory school which students must attend if their English is below IELTS 4.5. However, reports are that because it is a private university, the students are very spoilt and ill-mannered.

Zirve University, on the other hand, is in Gaziantep and is brand new, only opening in 2009. It has just one year of about 600 students, but rather early to decide how it is progressing. Word has it that construction is still going on around the site.
Caterinamh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. I'm familiar with the schools and their programs. I was interested in their application process. I've been working in the prep programs in Istanbul for about 4 years now and looking for a change. I do however appreciate your effort to fill me in. Smile

Zirve as you stated is very new and has been set up from consultants from NTU in the states. Anyone know about the University culture there? Has anyone been through their recruitment process or know of anyone who has?

Thanks for sharing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tsaf kaerb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: yikes Reply with quote

I don't know about the other school, but in regards to Zirve: stay away from it. There used to be numerous threads on Dave's ESL cafe about what a horrible place Zirve is to work at, and then all the posts disappeared. The teachers are Zirve received emails form administration saying they had reported us to the police because we had written comments about Zirve on this website and that they would follow through with any action the police suggest they take. Of course, nothing happened because it is not illegal to write true comments about schools.

Zirve is a very unprofessional and frightening place to work. It is not worth it to go there. Don't go. To give an example of the degree in which teachers despise working at Zirve : in Turkey, for Turkish people it is very unlikely for them to change jobs because if you're lucky enough to get hired you should stay there because there's no guarantee you'll find another one. Turkish people are very afraid of quitting their job. Despite this, I know of FIVE Turkish teachers who risked everything and quit Zirve. For non-Turkish teachers, there were 17 of us to begin with; within a few months there were 14 of us; at the end of the contract only 4 decided to come back for another year and 3 out of the 4 have difficult situations that are forcing them to stay another year.
Moonshadow_51

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Zirve Reply with quote

I have pm'd you.
tsaf kaerb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you pm'd me, Moonshadow? If yes, I did not receive it...
Moonshadow_51

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Zirve Reply with quote

Yes, I did, more than a month ago. Let me see if it's still in my sent/outbox.
cheapshoes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any recent news about Bahcesehir University? I might interview with them and I'm looking for information. Thanks.
parnett

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught at Bahcesehir Koleji and University more than a decade ago. The boss of the English Department at the high school (later to become the Head at the university) was clueless (and I do mean clueless). The students at the high school were the most spoiled students I have encountered in thirty years of teaching. The students at the university were worse.
For some, the best part of the job was living in Bahcesehir. It surely is one of the nicest suburbs of Istanbul with its villas and manmade lake surrounded by a park and restaurants. However, I found it boring and the bus to Taksim was a two hour ordeal.
I'm sure many things have changed since I departed, but I would imagine the students are fairly similar to the "monsters" I tried to instruct.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parnett wrote:
I taught at Bahcesehir Koleji and University more than a decade ago. The boss of the English Department at the high school (later to become the Head at the university) was clueless (and I do mean clueless). The students at the high school were the most spoiled students I have encountered in thirty years of teaching. The students at the university were worse.
For some, the best part of the job was living in Bahcesehir. It surely is one of the nicest suburbs of Istanbul with its villas and manmade lake surrounded by a park and restaurants. However, I found it boring and the bus to Taksim was a two hour ordeal.
I'm sure many things have changed since I departed, but I would imagine the students are fairly similar to the "monsters" I tried to instruct.

Interestingly, I've taught both high school and college students in Turkey, and I'd have to agree, Turkish college students are still on average far worse than high school students. Until I started teaching some of them, I never understood why my colleagues in private Turkish colleges were so adamant that the work they did doesn't constitute teaching "adults."

Can't speak to Bahcesehir, but will say that my worst Turkish students (always either college students or young adults under 30 whose bosses are making them learn English for reasons they can't seem to understand) are only about as bad as the average secondary school student I taught in Korea.

Regards,
~Q
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: