Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for the early new year, a little guidance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingBen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Advice for the early new year, a little guidance Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I am graduating next month with my MA-ESL/Applied Linguistics from the University of Texas Pan American (on campus Masters). I could use a bit of guidance on how to proceed. Basically: graduating with honors in December, ready to head out immediately, interested in uni or contractor work, particularly in the MidEast or Central Asia, currently teach Adult ESL at my University's English Language Institute-Intensive Program (will have been there one year as of graduation next month), 3 years hagwon experience in Korea (kids and adults), 4 months tutoring Saudi males at an ELI in Austin, 3 months volunteer teaching adults in Palestine. Mid thirties, Anglo-American, have spent a bit of time in the MidEast. Do I have any hope of getting a job for January, or later in Spring? I know that visas and hiring usually take awhile, but there seem to be exceptions occassionally? Don't want to stay here until August waiting for the 2013-2014 school year, as I am living in a backwater which has suited the purpose of my MA studies, but in which I have no connections and would love to depart. Is it realistic to find a posting for early in the new year? I should add that if I am still here in March, I am certainly able to go the TESOL conference in Dallas. I realize I will not yet qualify for many of the better postings, but would like a better sense of what my options are. Oman? Any chance of a uni job in UAE? I would go to Saudi if necesary, for the right posting, though it is not my first choice. Should I just seek out a uni posting in Oman and get a few years under my belt? Is that even feasible in my timeframe? I do have a great deal of student debt, and the pay in Oman seems rather underwelming. I read these boards religiously, so have a decent picture of the common themes. I am really looking for some leads on starting over there sooner than later, but don't want to work at a private language academy or a school with a reputation for (particularly blatant) dishonesty, etc. I should add that I may not recieve the actual paper diploma until late February. I occasionally see advice for people to get a few years uni experience in Asia first. Would I truly be better off doing that? I've already spent several years there and would rather not, but I want to make decisions now that will aid me in the future. Also I have great references. Thanks in advance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: