Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting the balance right!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What kind of employee is more preferable to a school?
Someone with 2 years local experience
66%
 66%  [ 10 ]
Someone with extensive globetrotting experience
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 15

spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, in a "turnabout is fair play" kind of way, many teachers who worked in Saudi for a while often find they have a similar difficulty when applying for jobs in other places after they leave. It tends to work that way in the UAE and the US (that I know of) and probably in some other places as well

Hear, hear! That is back to my point that experience in one place simply doesn't necessarily transfer elsewhere. Mine included.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

Thread title: Input needed from posters who are/have been in charge of hiring teachers.

All other criteria being equal, which candidate would you choose for your open position:

1. Teacher A, with a decade of experience in some different geographical region
2. Teacher B, with two years of experience in 'your' country

Open question follows: Why?

As one who actually does have direct control over hiring and responsibility for a faculty of close to 150...

There is no one-size-fits-all answer. It is job specific. Find the best fit for the position in question.

I wouldn't take someone with 10 years of experience in a high school classroom to work as an elementary school teacher. I would consider someone with only a year in the classroom working with very young learners as a better choice.

I wouldn't take an elementary school teacher, regardless of how much classroom time they have teaching English in a primary classroom for a position teaching EFL to hospitality majors in our vocational school.

When I am looking for someone to teach business English to our marketing students I would prefer a business major with a CELTA over a certified classroom teacher.

Back to the OP's original query... the same answer applies - the "where" is less of a factor (other than confirming that you can live abroad as an expat) than the "what" your work/teaching experience was/is and what your teaching (and other) qualifications are.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: