Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Government run teaching programs like JET?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
White ice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Government run teaching programs like JET? Reply with quote

Hello all,

Are there any other government organised teaching programs other than JET (Japan), EPIK (South Korea) and TGL (Georgia)

I am looking for my first teaching job and will have my CELTA by mid November. (I realise a CELTA is not needed for JET, TGL or EPIK)

My priority is not maximising earnings from teaching at this point but instead to have a good time and experience a new culture.

From all the reading I have done it seems that English Language centres which hire someone with zero experience are places that will treat you like crap and full of dodgy characters. Thats why I am interested in the JET and TGL program as you are put into state schools rather than English language centres.

I like the idea of working for people who are not there simply to make money.

So if anyone knows any countries or programs it would be great to hear from you!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

France and Spain have Ministry of Education programmes. YOu apply through the embassy / consulate. Open to non EUers as well.
Shroob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure Chile has some sort of government scheme also.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Open Doors programme, right?
Shroob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
The Open Doors programme, right?

I think that's the one.

I read about it on another website, I don't know much about it though. Only that it's run through the Ministry of Education of Chile and some U.N. body (I think).
dackinator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
Pretty sure Chile has some sort of government scheme also.

Open Doors Chile. Important to remember that:
a. Its voluntary, you wont get any pay (food and host family provided). There is a 60,000 (�80) monthly bonus to cover extra costs, but it really wont go far. If you are in santiago then travel costs will entirely eat that.
b. Flights between the UK and Chile start at �1000/$1500 each way. Chile is not a cheap place to travel to.

I was in Chile for 2 years and its a fun place, but Open Doors really does not sound good to me, you'll be really limited in what you can do unless you're bringing some savings with you to spend. I met plenty of volunteers in Santiago but never anyone with Open Doors, so I cant say anything about the job itself.
Perilla

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the NET Programme in Hong Kong. But without experience or QTS it's doubtful you'd be taken on.
White ice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

It is interesting to hear about the other programs out there.

I would prefer a program where I receive at least local wage rather than being a volunteer.

From what I have read the programs for France and Spain require an 'A level 'in the language.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White ice wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

It is interesting to hear about the other programs out there.

I would prefer a program where I receive at least local wage rather than being a volunteer.

From what I have read the programs for France and Spain require an 'A level 'in the language.

The Spain one, for Americans at least, didn't require A levels. A couple of my brother's friends went with minimal Spanish, They even applied late. According to the Chicago Consulate they had fewer people apply so most peopel get accepted.
madrileno

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
France and Spain have Ministry of Education programmes. YOu apply through the embassy / consulate. Open to non EUers as well.

I've found the Spanish program you're referring to, but the French one has a cut-off age of 30. Sad
Fa'aitoito

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Government run teaching programs like JET? Reply with quote

White ice wrote:
Hello all,

Are there any other government organised teaching programs other than JET (Japan), EPIK (South Korea) and TGL (Georgia)

I am looking for my first teaching job and will have my CELTA by mid November. (I realise a CELTA is not needed for JET, TGL or EPIK)

My priority is not maximising earnings from teaching at this point but instead to have a good time and experience a new culture.

From all the reading I have done it seems that English Language centres which hire someone with zero experience are places that will treat you like crap and full of dodgy characters. Thats why I am interested in the JET and TGL program as you are put into state schools rather than English language centres.

I like the idea of working for people who are not there simply to make money.

So if anyone knows any countries or programs it would be great to hear from you!

I am not sure if it is the same program that the others are mentioning here, but there is a program with France that places you in classrooms as an assistant. To qualify, as far as I know, you have to be a student and under 30. I did not find out about until too late. alas.

I do know some people who did it and they loved it.

Its not just France either but also a couple of their overseas territories, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Reunion if I'm not mistaken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: