Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EU Immigration Portal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamallo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: EU Immigration Portal Reply with quote

The link below for the EU Commission Immigration Portal may prove useful to non-EU citizens hoping to freelance or otherwise in the EU. Immigration laws can change on a dime (for example, I, as were many other foreigners, was forced to leave China when the Chinese government suddenly decided not to renew Business Visas prior to the Olympics because of the "threat" those foreigners posed to the Chinese having a "perfect" Olympics), so it would certainly be helpful to me and I'm sure to others if people with recent experience immigrating to the EU would comment on the accuracy of the information on the portal and their experience dealing with immigration policies on the ground.

http://ec.europa.eu/immigration/tabHome.do;jsessionid=T6JNQ6WJpTk5wB8RfZ6flvHQMfj7PPp6cBC2DpKsDPHYfhQ5Gp2Y!1296215672!1346033204167
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a useful link. And other posters comments and experiences will make for interesting reading. However, I do not think that the EU's immigration laws and policy are going to change on a dime. The only probable changes will be along the lines of making things even harder for non-EU teflers to secure legal work there than they currently already are.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my perspective of 14+ years based primarily in Central and Western Europe, and my work with various organizations in Brussels and my own experience with exceptional work visas for non-EU citizens in Western Europe, I can add to Sasha's analysis:

the EU isn't comparable to China in terms of changing regulations. Things here change slowly and rarely.
jamallo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to compare Chinese immigration policy with EU immigration policy, just pointing at that laws do change - sometimes radically and quickly so that it is important not to rely on website information - particularly anything more than a year old.
For example, immigration policy changed radically under Cameron and is still undergoing further change - changes designed to restrict immigration. A recent instance of this the change in the income requirement for sponsoring a foreign spouse for settlement from 13,000 pounds a year to 24,000 pounds a year and also no longer allowing anyone but the spouse to meet the income requirement. As a result my daughter (American) who is doing graduate work in the UK and had hoped to marry a fellow graduate student (British) can no long get married and settle in the UK. The change came quickly and with little publicity - I learned about it from a friend who happened to see an article in a South African newspaper.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the woes of non-EU spouses trying to set up in the UKofGB&NI

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/visa-row-academic-leaves-scotland.19037534
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: