Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary in Austria

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpjf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Salary in Austria Reply with quote

Hi

I have been considering teaching in Vienna (or Japan or South Korea) and saw The British Council are offering a language assistant position in Austria for around �1,080 per month net (13 hours per week). I'm from the UK by the way.

This seems to me to be a good salary for Austria, but does anyone know would I be able to get a better/similar salary if i went there and worked for a private school? (Bear in mind the above salary is net)

The only thing that really deters me from applying is that i think maybe a language assistant position will not be looked upon so so favourably compared to a teacher as I'm currently working as a language assistant at the moment in France. Of course many times i am the actual teacher, but on paper I am a language assistant and thought I'm 31 (almost 32) it's not so good for a career as a teacher being a language assistant at my age when working as the teacher would be better for my CV. I have previous experience as a teacher but just felt maybe if my last 2 positions are "language assistant" it might not look so good. What do people think?

Thanks for any advice, suggestions etc!
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 Euros a month ? You will not survive on that.
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
1000 Euros a month ? You will not survive on that.

I'm not getting that much more in France (about 1,200 euros net) and i'm doing fine Smile

Plus, if it's only 13 hours a week you could always find another job.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my expectations are higher !
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take no notice of potty scotty .. He spent too long in Saudi and then spent all his money ...

He barks at you if you're chasing big bucks and barks at you if you're simply after subsistence level wages ..

He'd love to get his paws on Eu1,000 every month

As a part time job, for some extra cash, I'd say it's pretty good ...

I presume your job in France requires more from you than 13 hrs a week for the Eu 1,200 net each month it pays? If not, could you tell me who you work for .. a pm would be nice .. wouldn 't want to tip off the competition ..
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psittacosis

Come on - how much are you going to pay for accommodation ? Further proof if any were required that EFL is only for desperados !
kpjf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PC Parrot Smile

Scot47, I just meant it's not like i'm struggling to survive to make ends meet and for just 13 hours in Austria you could always work let's say 10 hours somewhere else and increase your monthly salary. 13 hours isn't so much.

I�m a "comenius assistant" with the British Council: http://www.britishcouncil.org/comenius-becoming-a-comenius-assistant.htm (anybody from the EU can apply to be one)

I am contracted for no more than 16 hours a week (sometimes I actually do less but still get the same amount of money). It�s actually a grant, but doing the calculations it�s about 1,200� a month.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working as a Language Assistant in Berlin (West) in 1968-1969 was my introduction to EFLing. I needed extra paid work to survive.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpjf,

As a Comenius Assistant, are you provided with accommodation?

Otherwise, 1,080 Euros a month in Vienna would definitely not enough to live on.....and other work is extremely difficult to find.
kpjf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
kpjf,

As a Comenius Assistant, are you provided with accommodation?

Unfortunately not!

Dedicated wrote:

Otherwise, 1,080 Euros a month in Vienna would definitely not enough to live on.....and other work is extremely difficult to find.

Thanks for the opinion. However, can I ask if anyone knows could you really get a better salary than 1,080� a month net in Vienna doing 13 hours a week (British Council language assistant = 13 hours a week; Comenius assistant = 12-16 hours a week)? I have calculated the net salary per hour for a British Council language assistant which works out at 20.77� for Vienna. I wouldn't imagine companies like Berlitz, Wall Street English etc would be paying more than that in Vienna unless i'm mistaken (?). In Germany for instance i think those companies only pay about 13� an hour.

When you say other work, do you mean apart from teaching or finding another teaching job? (I take it you mean the former)
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those looking at your CV may well raise an eyebrow when they see "Language Assistant, aged 32" I mean at that age aren't you supposed to be a bit more grown-up ?
kpjf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Those looking at your CV may well raise an eyebrow when they see "Language Assistant, aged 32" I mean at that age aren't you supposed to be a bit more grown-up ?

That was my concern, and the thing that put me off doing it, but had thought maybe I could find a 2nd job in an institute in the same city (as a teacher) as i'd only be doing 13 hours as an assistant.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that language assistantships can also sometimes get one into place to move into higher level positions that may come open from time to time. Overall, it doesn't sound so awful to me; 1,000 guaranteed monthly income and plenty of time to do other work. I'd expect to be tight for the first year, but if you've got some decent skills in terms of building local rep and contacts, it could be worth it long-term.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: