Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings! + Teaching opportunities?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColomboBritanico

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Internationalist wrote:
ESL is a dead end job scene.

As one poster pointed out even if you spend all that money on a CELTA ur only looking to hopefully get a 2nd tier Uni job that is in no way stable or worth the price of the CELTA imo.

If you really want to do ESL (not sure why anyone would) than id suggest getting a MA TESOL.

If you plan on spending / working any significant time abroad teaching (is that what you want?) Than you need to become a real teacher.

However, if you just want to hangout in X country for 1-2 years just for an experience before you return to your home country to start your life / career than the ESL scene is fine. Go ahead and get a CELTA.

However, if you want to live abroad and teach for 4+ years than id advise getting the proper credentials that can be had fairly cheap & quick.

I am definitely not thinking of making a career out of ESL. I'm hoping to interview with a few agencies to get some extra classes and apart from that I plan to get back into studying french seeing as I'm hoping to be in Quebec around this time next year.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is it you actually want to do career wise? How old are you btw?
ColomboBritanico

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in my mid twenties. In the long run I'd like to get involved with an NGO doing some kind of investigative work or something related to human resources. I keep tabs on a number of NGO's here but my lack of experience is a real hindrance. I have seen a few voluntary jobs (which seems to be the best way to get your foot in the door) but working for free is something I can't afford to do. If I ever find myself in a position where I can take on a voluntary unpaid job I'll do it.

If I end up in Quebec (which I hopefully will) I'll be studying french with a view to continuing in higher education or establishing a career.
spanglish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColomboBritanico wrote:

I'm in my mid twenties. In the long run I'd like to get involved with an NGO doing some kind of investigative work or something related to human resources. I keep tabs on a number of NGO's here but my lack of experience is a real hindrance. I have seen a few voluntary jobs (which seems to be the best way to get your foot in the door) but working for free is something I can't afford to do. If I ever find myself in a position where I can take on a voluntary unpaid job I'll do it.

If I end up in Quebec (which I hopefully will) I'll be studying french with a view to continuing in higher education or establishing a career.

This is why I broached the possibility that you may be better off in the UK than in Colombia (what I mean is doing something other than teaching English, maybe you could arrange that in Colombia). If you get a CELTA and keep teaching, I doubt very much it will help you get into NGO work unless you're thinking very long term (teach for many years and move into middle management, then try to make a move more into the NGO world). I'm speaking here from personal experience of trying to do more or less the same thing you'd like to do.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to sound harsh, but it appears you do not have a concrete plan.

Mid 20's and that isnt a good position to be in.

Dont waste your money on a CELTA. Id recommend doing some research and coming up with a realistic step by step plan you can start to work towards.

Id recommend spending a year teaching in Korea. Give you some time to think about your future and also be able to save a decent amount of money.
ColomboBritanico

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to sound harsh, but it appears you do not have a concrete plan.

Mid 20's and that isnt a good position to be in.

Dont waste your money on a CELTA. Id recommend doing some research and coming up with a realistic step by step plan you can start to work towards.

Id recommend spending a year teaching in Korea. Give you some time to think about your future and also be able to save a decent amount of money.

You are right in saying I don't have a concrete plan. Since I finished uni I've had odd jobs in call centres and retail - nothing related to what I studied or aspire to be doing.

For the time being I'm happy in Colombia albeit not totally satisfied with my current job. On the plus side I do have a great work/life balance that gives me time to do my own thing - If I can get some extra hours with an agency then great. I'm comfortable with giving myself a year or two until I settle down with a career plan.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the other posters - you should get out of Colombia and go somewhere else. Korea was mentioned and you could actually save there. The tax is low and the money is better than almost anywhere outside the Middle East.

Living in Colombia with minimal teaching quals is not going to get you anywhere unless you decide to marry a local girl or set up a business.

I love Colombia, and I will go back, but ESL teaching there is not for the long term in my opinion.
G22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone else that the CELTA is definitely not worth it. $1500 for something that really doesn't do much for you. You aren't going to make much teaching at institutes in Colombia and they will have you running all over the city beginning at 6AM.

The colegios pay fairly well and the universities even better if you land a job at one. Paying to get an MA in TEOFL or an actual teacher's certification will land you more money than a CELTA will. The universities want people with master's degrees, the better colegios only hire people with actual teaching certification.

If you want to make $2,000 or more a month with very few credentials, Korea is the place to go. I'm not saying people won't be able to make it in Colombia, I've been here for over 2 years now, but it isn't always easy and the 2 million pesos a month I get paid really doesn't allow me to do much.
earthjen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen several comments here referring to getting your teaching certification as "cheap and quick". Where can I get a B.Ed/teaching certification cheaply and quickly? I only know of full-time, year-long degrees that would cost $10,000 in tuition and a year of lost wages. I'd love to know how to get one while working full-time and at a cheap price...
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacherready.org
Gregorio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet would be to go back to the UK, get a PGCE in something, get hired on as a "foreign hire" at one of the high paying colegios, and live a very, very, comfortable life with the ability to travel and tons of vacation.

However, if you don't really like teaching, don't do that. Laughing
ColomboBritanico

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my residency application for Quebec seems to be stalling, I've decided to take the initiative. I'll be starting an online TEFL course (140) hours in the next few weeks. I've read mixed reviews about these courses, some of which are very dismissive. I've got 10 weeks to complete it and I would hope that it would give me some extra cred when applying for jobs. While I'm aware an online TEFL doesn't hold the same weight as a CELTA, am I likely to have better chances getting a job at a school or Uni? my hope is to have something lined up for Jan 2014. Having read around on this and other forums, I understand I'd have to apply around November time for a school job right?

In addition, Would it be worth my while taking the TKT exam when I complete the TEFL?

Regards,

Alex
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont even need a TEFL.

As for your options on employment. Institutes are the easiest to get. Might could get a colegio gig if your in Colombia early beating down doors everyday.
ColomboBritanico

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont even need a TEFL.

As for your options on employment. Institutes are the easiest to get. Might could get a colegio gig if your in Colombia early beating down doors everyday.

Fair comment. The TEFL will, if nothing else, expand my horizons regarding teaching techniques and methodology - I've been following the same methodology for the past three and a half years.
Cheers,

Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: