Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retirement visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
No Moss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Retirement visa Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knows the income requirements for a retirement visa. I'd like to retire in Colombia and, of course, teach some private students on the side. Can't seem to find the income requirements for a retirement visa, although I have noticed that they only honor government pensions (which I have).

I can't live in Bogota (too high!). What would I expect to pay for a nice apartment in Cali or Medellin? And what could I charge for private lessons there?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
corniche

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the rentista visa requires proof of at least 10 times the monthly minimum wage (589,500 for 2013 = 248 euros). It also says this visa can be requested either in or out of Colombia.

http://www.consuladocolombiamilan.it/contenuti.aspx?IDC=359

On this site, it is called the retirado visa, scroll down:

http://www.consuladodecolombia.com/servicios_visas.htm
talktome

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I just found out myself about this visa and I was told visa section of the Colombian consulate in New York that I need is a copy of my compensation rating pages from the VA.
I was told what is needed is;

original passport
copy of passport information page
between 2 to 5 color photos
completed visa application
copy of completed of your pension, social security or, in my case, Veteran Affairs compensation report.
You need to show that your pension is 3 to 10 times the amount of the average wage for a local.
application fee of $50 and $275

I plan on applying for the visa this summer.
Also, go to the websites listed above and call the nearest consulate for updated or if you are in Colombia, you need to contact or visit the nearest Colombian consulate.

Good luck and wish you the best.
shebab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't live in Bogota (too high!)

Do you mean elevation, or cost of living, or both?? Smile

Quote:
What would I expect to pay for a nice apartment in Cali or Medellin?

Real estate prices are rising everywhere in Colombia, but especially in Medellin. I would say you could get a "nice" apartment in Medellin starting around US $100,000.

Quote:
And what could I charge for private lessons there?

Not sure of this one, but I do know that you will need to establish a reputation, as there is quite a lot of competition from all the language schools and teachers in big cities. Also, private classes do not provide stable or reliable income. Be prepared for cancellations or no shows...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: