Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Special requirements for teaching TOEFL or IELTS?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jm21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Special requirements for teaching TOEFL or IELTS? Reply with quote

I have noticed there seems to be a jump in pay for teaching these subjects but for the life of me I can't figure out why. Are there some special qualifications that I don't know about? Teaching for these tests just seems like oral English to me. I am having trouble figuring out the justification for significantly higher pay and differentiating these jobs from other oral English jobs.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both proficiency tests cover all four language skills (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) and are required for entry into universities where English is the language of study (e.g., the UK and US). As such, they're considered high-stakes tests.

There are practice IELTS and TOEFL tests online. You might give them a try; they're not as easy as you think, even for a native speaker.
jm21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know what they are and have read a lot about them, but what qualifies a teacher to teach them? Or is it really the same qualifications as teaching oral English? Employers seem to think there is something different required to teach these subjects but I can't figure out what that might be. SAT prep I know they want someone who scored well on the test, I understand that. Literature they want an English major, understood. But what sets IELTS AND TOEFL apart?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a whole forum just on the TOEFL in the 'Teacher Discussion Forum,' which requires separate registration to post:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewforum.php?f=18&sid=ea84b64ecfe94b347cb900cabe1d5f09

Also, check out job ads for TOEFL and IELTS tutors/teachers for the required academic qualifications and TESOL credentials.

What sets IELTS and TOEFL apart from SAT and other tests that native speakers take is that these two language proficiency tests are mostly used to measure the tester's level of English in preparation for academic studies in a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral program in universities where English is the language of instruction. Therefore, conversation English won't cut it; whereas, academic English (EAP) in all four language skills hits the mark.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link might be helpful:
http://www.britishcouncil.cn/en/ielts-examiner-recruitment
jm21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the TOEFL and IELTS jobs seem to have the same requirements as all the other teaching jobs. I'm sure IELTS examiners have preference but aside from that the requirements seem the same. I've been browsing ads for weeks and have never noticed anything special required. Yet if I talk to a recruiter they will ask if I am qualified to teach those classes. But they don't ask for any extra documentation. If I say yes, they just say OK.

I just got off a Skype interview with an international middle school and they seem to think I am qualified to teach AP (why in a middle school?), TOEFL, and IELTS. Talked with a recruiter yesterday and they thought I wasn't qualified to teach any of them for some reason. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Like if you do an interview and impress them you're qualified. If you don't do well you can only teach oral English.

Maybe just a TIC moment.

I will check out that forum. Sounds like I might need it. Thanks for the link.

I should also mention I have no teaching certificate or TEFL or TESOL and schools don't seem to give a crap. Recruiters do but schools don't.

I don't know if this is normal or I get special treatment because of my JD. Or maybe because I am relatively young and very European looking.

Might as well shoot for the stars and see what happens I guess.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jm21,

Have you ever taken a look at some of the text books used for preparation for the IELTS? If not, pick up a few. Take a good look at the writing component. It's no piece of cake.

And no, I doubt that the JD is getting you special consideration. It's a professional degree, not an academic degree.

For future reference:

http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/what_is_ielts/test_format.aspx
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jm21 wrote:
I just got off a Skype interview with an international middle school and they seem to think I am qualified to teach AP (why in a middle school?), TOEFL, and IELTS. Talked with a recruiter yesterday and they thought I wasn't qualified to teach any of them for some reason. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

I should also mention I have no teaching certificate or TEFL or TESOL and schools don't seem to give a crap. Recruiters do but schools don't.

Frankly, if you're serious about pursuing this path, enroll in a CELTA or equivalent cert course to get proper teacher training. It will boost your credibility and give you the foundation to teach IELTS and TOEFL prep courses.
jm21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Powell wrote:
jm21,

Have you ever taken a look at some of the text books used for preparation for the IELTS? If not, pick up a few. Take a good look at the writing component. It's no piece of cake.

And no, I doubt that the JD is getting you special consideration. It's a professional degree, not an academic degree.

For future reference:

http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/what_is_ielts/test_format.aspx

A JD and a PhD are basically interchangeable in China, which is sad, because being admitted to practice is far more difficult and prestigious than some lousy impossible-to-fail phd from no-name University.

I had a very intense legal writing prof. I was already quite good but after that I score extremely well on these kinds of language tests and grammar tests. You know, more and more law students have to take remedial writing classes because the level of writing required to get a bachelor's degree is so low. In law you basically read and write for a living so the bar is set much higher.

I have absolutely no worries about my language ability. Writing an appellate brief or taking the bar exam is a teensy bit more complicated than those IELTS questions.
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jm just apply for the TOEFL/IELTS jobs you want, sell them on the value of your JD, then prove its worth. The JD will give you special consideration if you sell its benefits.

Don't let people who never went to law school tell you what you did there. Yes look at the books yourself but through my JD eyes it is quite doable and teachable.

But then again I used to write legal pleadings 20 hours per week for weeks on end, so what do I know about writing, for example?
water rat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guerciotti wrote:
jm just apply for the TOEFL/IELTS jobs you want, sell them on the value of your JD, then prove its worth. The JD will give you special consideration if you sell its benefits.

Don't let people who never went to law school tell you what you did there. Yes look at the books yourself but through my JD eyes it is quite doable and teachable.

But then again I used to write legal pleadings 20 hours per week for weeks on end, so what do I know about writing, for example?
Based on your final sentence?
Voyeur

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was involved in hiring, I'd be very suspicious of a JD applying for an ESL job. I'd naturally wonder what went 'wrong'. I know there are too many lawyers, but still, a JD applying for an ESL job...

That being said, I have known several JDs who taught ESL. They had good reasons for it. Most were young Gyopos in Korea trying to get a taste of their heritage before they really started their legal careers. And they were teaching at a high-end academy, getting a very good salary.

I'd have a good story for the interviews is all I'm saying.

As for qualifications needed to teach IELTS and TOEFL, there are no formal requirements.
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

water rat wrote:
Guerciotti wrote:

Based on your final sentence?

Winner! I knew someone would call me on that!
You win! But the prize is ... nothing.
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyeur wrote:
When I was involved in hiring, I'd be very suspicious of a JD applying for an ESL job. I'd naturally wonder what went 'wrong'. I know there are too many lawyers, but still, a JD applying for an ESL job...

That being said, I have known several JDs who taught ESL. They had good reasons for it. Most were young Gyopos in Korea trying to get a taste of their heritage before they really started their legal careers. And they were teaching at a high-end academy, getting a very good salary.

I'd have a good story for the interviews is all I'm saying.

As for qualifications needed to teach IELTS and TOEFL, there are no formal requirements.

It's good to know westerners maintain their suspicion of lawyers wherever they go.

Oh, what went wrong? You work seventy hours a week and then tell me what goes wrong.
water rat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." -Dick, Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71–78
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: