Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TELF/ESL Journals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shroob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: TELF/ESL Journals Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm strongly considering upgrading my teaching qualifications (or at least having a go Laughing ) sometime in the near future, probably an MA TESOL/Applied Linguistics.

In preparation I've been visiting my employer's 'Teachers' Library' for a while now, where they have a selection of TEFL/ESL journals. However, the trouble is I'm not sure which journals I should be reading. There's quite an array, mostly in Chinese (where I teach) but some English language ones.

I'm aware that there probably isn't such a thing as 'reading too much around a subject', but I'd like to make the most of my time and concentrate on the most reputable/widely read ones first. So any suggestions on what titles to look out for would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You "should be reading" what interests you professionally/academically.

If you are into teaching reading, read journals on that subject.
If you are into listening, find articles on the subject. They may not be in just one.
artemisia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots, Shroob. If you look at these online, they will sometimes give a breakdown into 'most cited,' or 'key issues', or 'recently read', which might help give you a focus. I agree that it's easier to look for and find material once you have an area of research, rather than more random looking. Generally you'd need an online sub or availability as a uni student through library services to gain full acccess to articles. Your school might subscribe to some of these ones:

eltj.oxford journals
Journal of English for Academic Purposes
Language Assessment Quarterly
Language Awareness (Taylor & Francis online)
Language Teaching Research
Language Testing ltj.sagepub
Second Language Research
TESOL QUARTERLY

You can also try using Google scholar if/when you have the name of an article, area of research etc. to see what available online. I hope this is of some use to you.
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about journals, but may I suggest two books: the superbly readable Words in the Mind by Jean Aitchison and also The English Verb by Michael Lewis.
Shroob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:

If you are into listening, find articles on the subject. They may not be in just one.

I'm quite indecisive at the moment unfortunately, I understand what you mean though.

coledavis wrote:
I don't know about journals, but may I suggest two books: the superbly readable Words in the Mind by Jean Aitchison and also The English Verb by Michael Lewis.

Thanks, I'll see if I can locate a copy of those.

artemisia wrote:
There are lots, Shroob. If you look at these online, they will sometimes give a breakdown into 'most cited,' or 'key issues', or 'recently read', which might help give you a focus. I agree that it's easier to look for and find material once you have an area of research, rather than more random looking. Generally you'd need an online sub or availability as a uni student through library services to gain full acccess to articles. Your school might subscribe to some of these ones:

eltj.oxford journals
Journal of English for Academic Purposes
Language Assessment Quarterly
Language Awareness (Taylor & Francis online)
Language Teaching Research
Language Testing ltj.sagepub
Second Language Research
TESOL QUARTERLY

You can also try using Google scholar if/when you have the name of an article, area of research etc. to see what available online. I hope this is of some use to you.

I'll look into any subscriptions, but I don't think my workplace will have any, I could be wrong though, doesn't hurt to ask.

I've been reading pretty much any article in the journals, from testing methods in Hong Kong to how interactions between native and non-native speakers affect learner's error detection.

Thanks as well for the links.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
Glenski wrote:

I'm quite indecisive at the moment unfortunately, I understand what you mean though.
And, in my case I have a wide range of interests from ER to listening skills to motivation to ESP to presentations. You just have to wade in and start searching for the information. You may want to organize your searching into 2 categories at first:

articles you need immediately to help with a specific issue in class, and
general information on teaching theory

Your school may/may not have journals that interest you. If not, ask the library what it would take to order them (on their budget). Many will ask teachers once a year what they would like the library to stock.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: TELF/ESL Journals Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
There's quite an array, mostly in Chinese ....

You sure those are ELT journals?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: