Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University jobs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
mitsui wrote:
I think some students of German are interested in music or opera.
It seems the medical community has an interest, too, although I'm not sure beyond the Japanese word "carta" what German language is needed. Perhaps reading German medical journals...?

The Japanese words for a lot of medical terminology apparently come from German (like "Rentogen"- it's the same as the German word). I've been to doctors who've told me that they studied German in university instead of English.

Music (especially music history / musicology) students almost HAVE to study German to get through- a term bandied about as a virtual synonym for classical music is "the Germanic tradition in music"- it's almost as common as using "Western Art Music". The problem is that Classical (capital C) actually refers to one period that consists of less than 100 years- basically the lives of Mozart, Haydn and most of- or all of- Beethoven's life, and that's it. But what gets lumped into classical music (small c- in the record shop and {therefore?} most people's minds) is pretty much medieval all the way through to composed and then uploaded yesterday.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GambateBingBangBOOM wrote:
Glenski wrote:
mitsui wrote:
I think some students of German are interested in music or opera.
It seems the medical community has an interest, too, although I'm not sure beyond the Japanese word "carta" what German language is needed. Perhaps reading German medical journals...?

The Japanese words for a lot of medical terminology apparently come from German (like "Rentogen"- it's the same as the German word). I've been to doctors who've told me that they studied German in university instead of English.
But realize that roentgen is/was the name for units of radiation in an x-ray, it is NOT the x-ray itself (how the Japanese use it). The word itself is derived from a person's name, the discoverer of x-rays, so yes it is German in nature, but its derivation is not like most words.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past Japanese medical students had to learn German but I think they must learn English these days.

Music and German seem to go together, but some students learn Italian since they study opera, and they must learn Italian pronunciation.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe also engineering universities - German engineers were involved in setting up the electrical grid in Western Japan (which is why it runs at 60Hz here while the East of the country runs at 50, or at least so I'd heard).
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could any current University teachers inform me if Japanese unis only consider post MA experience when fielding applicants, or do they accept any tertiary experience before, during, as well as post MA?
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly do you want an employer to know? It would help if you came right out and described it. If it's relevant to the job, then of course they are likely to consider it.
Headshoulderskneesn'thobe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Jouchi daigaku/Sophia University..English instructor.... Reply with quote

Ask me.....please....please...please...
I know everything about Japan..... Laughing Laughing Laughing

What was the question again..?
Sad Confused Shocked
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general it seems that most universities want teachers who have previous experience in Japan.

Sometimes I think that can be overlooked when a Japanese university has a strong exchange program with a university abroad.
Some universities hire people from overseas, and these people may know no Japanese.
Headshoulderskneesn'thobe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: .....and have PUBLISHED 'nuffin' .... ;-) Reply with quote

Jouchi and Edinburgh for example...........
Razz Razz Razz

....and eyes and ears and mouth and....BEARD !!
headshoulderskneesn'thobe kneesn'thobe...!!!

Laughing Wink Very Happy
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How easy would it be to get a university gig in Tokyo for example for me? I have a Master of Arts in Education with a specialization in English Language Learners (ELL) and currently working on my Doctor of Education (Ed.D).

I also have over seven years teaching experience. Three and a half in the beautiful U.S. and three and a half in Mexico.

I'm wanting to arrive in late spring or fall.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
How easy would it be to get a university gig in Tokyo for example for me? I have a Master of Arts in Education with a specialization in English Language Learners (ELL) and currently working on my Doctor of Education (Ed.D).

I also have over seven years teaching experience. Three and a half in the beautiful U.S. and three and a half in Mexico.

What did you do for those 7 years of experience? Because they are outside of Japan and not even in an Asian setting, some employers may not consider them equivalent to teaching Japanese students.

You will also need publications. What do you have?

Usually, some Japanese language and teaching experience here is needed, especially the former.

Expect 20-150 applicants for every job, and that's usually people who are already here. The contracts will likely be only for 3 years at a time, perhaps renewed once. See JRECIN web site for details.

Right now is the hot time for applications for spring (April start dates). Not many will consider people who can't interview in Japan.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:

What did you do for those 7 years of experience? Because they are outside of Japan and not even in an Asian setting, some employers may not consider them equivalent to teaching Japanese students.

You will also need publications. What do you have?

Usually, some Japanese language and teaching experience here is needed, especially the former.

Expect 20-150 applicants for every job, and that's usually people who are already here. The contracts will likely be only for 3 years at a time, perhaps renewed once. See JRECIN web site for details.

Right now is the hot time for applications for spring (April start dates). Not many will consider people who can't interview in Japan.

Thanks Glenski!!!
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:

You could say a university gig in Tokyo would be paradise, paradise.
You'll be treated like a god and make over $20 an hour. Paradise, paradise.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerstyleone wrote:
You could say a university gig in Tokyo would be paradise, paradise. You'll be treated like a god and make over $20 an hour. Paradise, paradise.

Ha ha! Or not.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not paradise.
My commute is long.
I always teach 1st period.
There is extra work, like my committee, planning for next year, my project, writing, etc .

In fact I found high school teaching to be easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: