Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Westgate application process
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdp19742004

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Westgate application process Reply with quote

Hello all..

I completed the first two steps of the Westgate application process online about a week ago for a fall position. For those who have been through the process, how long does it generally take to hear back from them if you will move to the next step?

I'm interested in them because of their short contract times.

Thanks!
omrb83

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested in Westgate, but am having trouble finding information.

I'm wondering how selective they are right now as far as the teaching experience requirement. They seem to want a certain amount of classroom experience. I have a lot of classroom experience, some in EFL and some in maths. I'm wondering if they look favorably on all of this experience even since some of is outside of EFL. The maths that I teach currently is in Central America to non-native speakers, also, if that counts for anything.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omrb83,
There is no way to learn what you want to know unless you have an inside person at Westgate. Just be patient and feel somewhat secure in the fact that you actually do have such experience.

As for how long it takes, it takes as long as it takes. April is the starting date for schools including universities, and that may mean the first or second week. Again, be patient.
mdoor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first worked for Westgate in the Fall of 2008. At the time I applied with Westgate, I had a four year degree from an American university, a 120 hour TESOL cert. and one year of experience teaching in the Korean public school system.

I checked my e-mails from Westgate, the time between stage 2 and stage 3 was three weeks. I don't remember the details of what took place in the stages, but e-mail dates notifying me that I completed the stages came three weeks apart. They sent me a formal job offer on July 4th for a contract period beginning on September 23rd.

I really enjoyed my experience with Westgate, I went back and did a second contract with them in 2009, good luck with your applications!
----------------------------------------
Dated July, 4th 2008

"Thank you for your recent application. I am pleased to offer you a teaching position. Please see below for the general conditions.

Program: University Program, Extra-curricular Course

Term: Fall 2008

Contract Period: September 23rd, 2008 to December 19th, 2008

Salary: 275,000 yen a month

If you are willing to accept our offer, I would like to send two sets of the contract and other documents to you by express mail. Please reply to this message with your mailing address and phone number that I should send the package to. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THIS OFFER MAY BECOME INVALID IF WE DO NOT HEAR FROM YOU WITHIN A WEEK FROM TODAY. Thank you very much for your understanding.

Also, in regards to your possible teaching assignment, please be advised that, although we would surely try to meet your preference, we might not be able to do so in the end as we decide instructors' assignment depending on their experience and background and try to match the characteristics and needs of each university. Please note that each instructor's school assignment would be discussed and decided in August and September. We should be able to let you know your tentative school assignment about one month before the contract�s start date and confirm it a few days before the contract�s start date. We would very much appreciate your understanding on this matter.

Looking forward to receiving a positive response from you shortly!"
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Westgate tell you where you'll be working before you accept, or is it one of those companies that offer an 'induction' session in Tokyo (or wherever) and then ship you off to god knows where??

Also, just wondering, is now too late to apply for a Fall position?
TT-Kira

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the chances of securing a position in a place you know well?

I studied in Aichi-ken & would be keen to return for a short term contract ... but not to any of their other locations.

Are they respondant to requests like this?

Thanks
denise76

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrguay84 it's not too late for fall 2012 - they just re-posted (july 6th) on this site for fall positions.
mdoor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ You go to a two-day orientation in downtown Tokyo when you first arrive, it is during that orientation that you get your assignment. I think they are always trying to expand, but in my two semesters with them, all of the work-sites lay in the greater Tokyo metro area. Not sure if my Tokyo geography is spot on, but all work-sites could be reached by the Tokyo rail system if that helps.

You maybe able to work out an arrangement to be assigned to a specific campus, but throughout the application process and final contract, it is emphasized that you should be flexible on the assignment that you will accept, so I don't think they are keen on promising a specific site. However, if you are a super strong candidate for a position, who knows.

It is likely Westgate has an assignment in mind for the person that they hire, but they also want to have a final head count of who actually shows up and is ready to work, then they can make any needed adjustments and release the final assignments. That is my sense of how the system worked.
refikagurz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: westgate Reply with quote

Westgate does offer a few positions at some universities in/around Nagoya. However, requesting Aichi/Nagoya and then being placed there is a different story. They give priority to returnees, so it may be more difficult. No harm trying though!
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so it's a bit like The JET program (and probably all other Japanese teaching prgrams) in that you don't get to accept or turn an offer down before going to Japan. It's just the luck of the draw.

I'm just about to start the application process. I read that they require at least 3 teaching references. What if you're a newish teacher or have worked at one place for a long time? I might struggle with getting those.
denise76

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a CELTA or equivalent, you can use one of your trainers as a reference. Also, aside from your manager, maybe a co-ordinator or assistant manager you worked with or may have observed one of your classes at some point? I used a trainer, manager, and assistant manager and they seemed happy with those.
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denise76 wrote:
if you have a CELTA or equivalent, you can use one of your trainers as a reference. Also, aside from your manager, maybe a co-ordinator or assistant manager you worked with or may have observed one of your classes at some point? I used a trainer, manager, and assistant manager and they seemed happy with those.

So the references don't have to be from 3 different places of work/study?
denise76

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think it's necessary that they're from 3 different places...It hasn't been brought up as an issue for me (not yet anyway). But I'm like you, I've only ever taught English at one school (for 3 years), shortly after taking my Celta...so it's all I have to go on as well.
mdoor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

denise76 wrote:
When I applied, I used my TESOL trainer as one reference and two other non-teaching, professional references. As others have said, Westgate does not have a strict guideline of who they will accept a reference. Just keep it within some kind of reasonable bound of a "professional reference" and I think it will be fine.
4Mercury18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello;

I have a contract with Westgate for the upcoming Fall term. This is my first contract with them and first trip to Japan--all tips and suggestions are welcome!

But as for my application experience: all of my references were from the same long-term position (I worked for the same program teaching ESL in the US for 4+years) and it wasn't a problem. They were not all teachers or supervisors either. So I think WG is pretty flexible with what they will accept, as long as you can make a case that it is relevant.

As far as placements: I actually did get offered a specific post in a specific city and university. It's slightly outside the Tokyo metro area: I told them at my interview that I was flexible and happy with being outside of the city center, so that may be why they (sort of) confirmed my assignment for me in advance. They actually sent me two options and asked for my preference. However, all of my communications from WG regarding the contract include the disclaimer that final assignments will be made closer to the start date. It's kind of ambiguous, but it seems that they are reserving the right to change the assignment up to the last minute, depending on their needs, which is reasonable. This is of course what mdoor was saying:

"It is likely Westgate has an assignment in mind for the person that they hire, but they also want to have a final head count of who actually shows up and is ready to work, then they can make any needed adjustments and release the final assignments."

Good luck on your applications Mrguay84, TT-Kira, mdp19742004, et. al.!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: