Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beware of Hanoi Ivy League Prep Group

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hemispheredancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Beware of Hanoi Ivy League Prep Group Reply with quote

Just a heads up... From experience, avoid Ivycation or Ivy League Academics... and possibly IvyPrep Academy... I do know a 3rd location is opening in Hanoi. The owner is using several locations in Hanoi and possibly Ho Chi Minh City. All of the websites use the same students photos. You can tell by the mobile number attached to the websites and printed materials that they are all owned by the same person. The organization uses an American front man and hires you for a good rate of pay, swaps pages in your contract while making you a copy with the signatures, does not reimburse the visa fee and if at all possible will not pay for your return ticket home. All of this, plus they have a scam to cut your number of hours and your pay rate by pretending the students complain and they change your job. I have evidence to the contrary for my students as they were told they could not book with me. It is a shame as the students were wonderful to work with.
FreshlyBrewedCoffee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Ivycation in Hanoi (West Lake) a TOTAL SCAM--agreed! Reply with quote

hemispheredancer wrote:
Just a heads up...

Dancer, sorry to learn of your bad experience with these creeps--mine was more or less exactly the same (maybe you were my replacement?), so we can commiserate--and I can confirm your allegations.

Ivycation Hanoi made all the same promises to me a few months ago--very high rate of pay, etc. They seemed legit. They employed me for just one day--just one class!--and then sent an email firing me the following afternoon. "Due to feedback from students, your class has been canceled." Gee, whaddaya know, my ONLY class with Ivycation, ie, my job with them, bang, gone.

AND their office staff treated me very, very rudely--I won't elaborate.

With about 15 years' teaching experience and with SAT scores that are higher than the Harvard average, I ought to be doing well enough in the classroom, right? But deal with a roomful of impossible-to-please young princes and princesses, and forget it. They'll complain about anything, and everything, and nothing. In fact, the better you teach, the more well-prepared and well-presented you are, the MORE they will complain. After all, it's a Saturday afternoon, right? They are insulted if you try teaching them--how to write an SAT essay, of all things! Do the right thing, they complain. TEACH A GOOD CLASS, IVYCATION FIRES YOU--on the spot!

What makes Ivycation especially and outrageously bad is that their American front-man, a genuinely very well-educated, persuasive, convincing guy, WILL quite probably persuade you that Ivycation is "different"--that it's the one really "serious" prep center in Hanoi, or Vietnam, where you will be hired for your knowledge and experience, not to wear a Hawaiian shirt and play the ukelele or otherwise clown around and pretend to teach while being blond and pretty. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! Ivycation is at least as bad as the worst of the bad. They will fire you after one day--because you DID teach a good class, when entertainment was what they really wanted. If you're utterly superficial enough, go for it: Ivycation may just employ you for more than one day. If you're remotely serious about teaching, or if you don't look a supermodel or do stand-up comedy like a pro--forget it.

Back to watching my Vietnam War movies now--I'm into Off Limits (1988), having seen Charlie MoPic (goes by different names) a couple of days ago. I'm envious! The Americans here in Nam in the 60s and 70s were issued FIREARMS to defend themselves with, and could even call in airstrikes! We English-teaching monkeys in the Nam today are defenseless, and NO, Ivycation is not the exception. It's a landmine just waiting to blow your entire foot off, or more. Proceed with caution, keep your wits about you, look for booby traps, and do not step on the Ivycation bomb.
hemispheredancer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right... I managed to be there longer than a day though and I quit! They are complete rip off artists, have no concept of curriculum development, college/university counseling or teaching. I did manage to warn the new SAT teacher that the American frontman had complained about her after one class. It is ridiculous. And I have had nice e-mails back from some of the students who actually filled me in afterwards to the fact that it was not that students did not request me, but they were told by the owner and frontman that they could not book with me.

Yes, everyone should beware when going into Vietnam for jobs...
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about Ivy Prep in HCMC. I knew some people working with that group in and didnĀ“t hear anything exceptionally bad. Seemed to be a good payrate considering.
hemispheredancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They claim a good rate of pay until you are there and they want to change your job, swap the last page of your contract with your signature on it to another contract and start playing games. I have now heard from no less than 5 people who have been done this way.

Just beware... It is too good to be true. You will waste a lot of time, effort, and money if you dare to go with them. They were trying to get rid of 3 more teachers who had been there for a short time when I left. All games... Even games with the parents and students. There is no reason students should be working on their essays for months on end or even teachers ghost writing essays for students. Parents are paying a tremendous amount for this and getting ripped off.
hemispheredancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivycation in HCMC owned and run by the same 2 people. Beware...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: