Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home accounts while abroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kah5217

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Home accounts while abroad Reply with quote

What did some of you veterans do about your home bank accounts and credit cards while living abroad? I would like to keep my US credit card account open to build history (and in case things don't work out), any suggestions?

I could always add a parent as an authorized user, but is that a good idea?
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't cancel your credit card. Canceled credit cards can disappear from your credit history at the whim of the bank or credit card company, sometimes after as little as a few years. If that happens the entire history you had with that card also disappears and that affects your credit score. So keep the card active.

Set up online banking with the same bank you've got the credit card with. This gives you an account to send money to if you want to wire money home and it also allows you to pay your credit card off by transferring money from the savings account to the credit card account. You also need to ensure your bank knows you're going abroad for an extended period so that credit card charges and bank withdrawals from foreign places don't raise red flags at their end. No need to add another authorized user for the credit card, and I can't see any good reason why you'd want to do that (if you have one I'd be interested in hearing it).

I use my credit card a few times a year since I've been abroad and no problems so far. There are times when you need or want something and if you're living outside your own country a credit card is often the only way to pay for it.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a very good reason to add an authorized user to the card, assuming it's someone you trust. The authorized user can keep the card active and (hopefully) make payments.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
There's a very good reason to add an authorized user to the card, assuming it's someone you trust. The authorized user can keep the card active and (hopefully) make payments.

John, a credit card account remains open (active) until the account holder closes it, or the bank revokes it. One of the myths of finance is that you need to use your card and carry a monthly balance on it to add to your credit history and credit score. As long as the account is open it's considered active and is building history and adding to your score. The card doesn't have to be used, ever, because credit reporting agencies don't track use of the card, only length of time the account has been open, balance owing, even if it's $0, and late payments.
kah5217

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Chase card, though, so they will cancel it if I don't use it (I'm already making them mad by not carrying a giant balance).
Ariadne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they really will cancel it if you don't use it... use it every now and then. Buy flowers for your mom over the internet or order a book for a friend. As mentioned before, let your card company know you will be using the card in another country. You should have a credit card with you in China. Don't let your credit rating disappear while you're away from your home country. When you return you might not have a job for awhile and it would be tough to get a brand new card with no job.

Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
I have a Chase card, though, so they will cancel it if I don't use it (I'm already making them mad by not carrying a giant balance).

They must be offering a really low interest rate or something to be able to exert that kind of pressure on you (or else they're just knobs). Personally I'd get a new card and let that one lapse, it's probably costing you money in the long run. Mine's a Mastercard, 19.99% interest (I never carry a balance and have never paid a penny in interest), and the bank never hassles me to use it.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Asian public schools at least you will find the supplied texts nearly un-useable.
There are numerous online stores selling teaching resources (flash cards etc) for quite small sums ie under US$20.
You can keep your CC ticking over without breaking the bank.
kah5217

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelin of Radiance wrote:
They must be offering a really low interest rate or something to be able to exert that kind of pressure on you (or else they're just knobs).

It's the latter. What do you expect for a first time credit card with little history? (I missed the boat for the whole 'college student' credit rush.) That's why I want to keep it open. I probably won't be using it much where I'm going (rural Japan).
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my mom on most of my later cards. I get a larger credit limit. Not that I need a lot, but like other posters, I'm one of those people who make CC companies mad. I use my card a couple times a year, carry no balance, have no loans.

I had a card with a 3K limit, they lowered it to 300 dollars, I ended up cancelling it. I had 4 cards, I just cancelled one, because it had a fee. I'll be cancelling another one in July, due to having an annual fee. I'll be keeping my oldest card and another fee card. I'd love to cancel the oldest one, but not sure if I should. I only have 1500 limit, so I can't even buy a flight home. had it for over 10 years though.

My brother just has one card, uses it and reaps the rewards. Like peopel say, if you can put someone on it and they use and pay it off, that might help.
TedZar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need to do anything special. I use my USA address and have everything forwarded to me. I use my cards semi-regularly, but never have difficulty.

I have more trouble trying to buy stuff in the States where everyone is so panicked about fraud than I do using them overseas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: