Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working hours

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Working hours Reply with quote

Hi,
Considering relocating to Japan.
Working hours at Japanese bilingual schools / gov schools is 8.00am to 5.00pm, correct? And one more question; teachers in Japan work 5 or is it 6 days a week?
Thanks folks.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bilingual schools in Japan are a rarity. Not really sure what you mean. International schools? Check this link for more.
http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/international_schools.html

Public schools will have you there from 8ish to 5ish, Mon - Fri. Private schools also have you working a half day on Saturday twice a month on average. Conversation schools (eikaiwa) are open when customers are available, so it could be 5 or 6 days a week for the teacher, and any day of the week, typically from noonish to 9pm.
flow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
stumptowny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Working hours Reply with quote

flow wrote:
Hi,
Considering relocating to Japan.
Working hours at Japanese bilingual schools / gov schools is 8.00am to 5.00pm, correct? And one more question; teachers in Japan work 5 or is it 6 days a week?
Thanks folks.

gov schools are 8:15 - 3pm (expectation wise from the school). depends on the boe. one boe I know of requires all its teachers to work until 4:30 everyday. that is very rare. 8-5? I have never heard that. in practical terms (and my company), you can leave when your schedule has no classes. I never have a 6th period and thus.... 14:15 if I want to.. usually try to stay till 3:00.

int. schools not sure but I would imagine their expectations are higher as the pay will be much more... could be after 5pm for those schools.. at least at the start of the year.. worked for an int. school and never worked weekends. they are off.. imagine most are the same.. I'd finish at 4:00 - 4:30 only because the teachers had to do bus duties after school, riding with the students to their stops. usually left 16:15 - 16:30 every day..
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with public schools and dispatch companies is that you'll be expected to stay until at least 4:30pm, not likely later than 4:50pm.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, then...4ish. Better?
funkyging

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i work in a public JHS and the last class ends at 3:20, they then clean the school and then have after school club activities. I leave just after 3:30pm
First class starts at 8:30am so i need to be at the school around 8:10-8:20am
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Ok, then...4ish. Better?

Sorry Glenski, I was replying to the post above mine that said most government schools are until 3pm. I'm not that pedantic!
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a prob, Joel. Actually, I was covering my bases by responding to both you and stumptowny! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: