Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for moving to Medellin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
handog44

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Advice for moving to Medellin Reply with quote

I am planning on moving to Medellin January 23rd to be an English teacher ( I have a TESL certification, a bachelors degree in int'l business and 0 experience). I am doing this for the short term( about a year), and I am very flexibly with my plans. I was hoping you guys could help me with the following;

1) Will finding a teaching job be difficult that late in January?

2) How much can I expect to get paid? (I understand it won't be much, but I will find paying jobs correct?)

3) Can I do all this with a tourist visa by constantly renewing it every 60 days? (It seems like getting a work visa may be difficult for me)

4) Do I have any hope of finding a job over the internet while I'm still at home?

5) I plan on staying in a hostel for a few weeks until I find an apartment, hopefully a furnished room in an apartment with other young people, looking to spend less than 400,000 /mo...what is the best way to find this scenario? (I've been on compartoapto and it seems pretty helpful, but maybe it will be easier when I'm there).

I realize Medellin may be a tricky city to accomplish this in, so should I possibly give Bogota a shot (I've heard there are more TESL jobs there).

Thank you so much for any help!!!
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for moving to Medellin Reply with quote

handog44 wrote:
I am planning on moving to Medellin January 23rd to be an English teacher ( I have a TESL certification, a bachelors degree in int'l business and 0 experience). I am doing this for the short term( about a year), and I am very flexibly with my plans. I was hoping you guys could help me with the following;

1) Will finding a teaching job be difficult that late in January?

2) How much can I expect to get paid? (I understand it won't be much, but I will find paying jobs correct?)

3) Can I do all this with a tourist visa by constantly renewing it every 60 days? (It seems like getting a work visa may be difficult for me)

4) Do I have any hope of finding a job over the internet while I'm still at home?

5) I plan on staying in a hostel for a few weeks until I find an apartment, hopefully a furnished room in an apartment with other young people, looking to spend less than 400,000 /mo...what is the best way to find this scenario? (I've been on compartoapto and it seems pretty helpful, but maybe it will be easier when I'm there).

I realize Medellin may be a tricky city to accomplish this in, so should I possibly give Bogota a shot (I've heard there are more TESL jobs there).

Thank you so much for any help!!!

1. No more difficult than any other time of the year. In any event, December and the first week or so of January are dead for hiring.

2. You'll probably have offers from 800.00 - 2.5 million/month, maybe a tad more in some high schools.

3. They should give you 30 or 60 or 90 days when you arrive (60 or 90 is most likely given you tell them that that is the amount of time you'll be in country). At the end of that time you can pay a fee (around $35.00 USD) every 30 days and stay up to 6 months in total. Beyond that you'll need a student, work or partner visa.

4. Nope, though you can educate yourself regarding institutes, universities and high schools in and around Medellin, so you're ready to hit the ground running when you arrive. Keep in mind Medellin is the most competitive market for teaching jobs as it's perceived as having the highest quality of life in the country. Pay also seems to run a little behind the rest of the country.

5. I'm not up to date on current prices in Medellin, but would expect 400.00 to get you a modest room in a modest neighborhood. In El Poblado, I'm guessing you'd need to pay around 500-600.000 for the same.
handog44

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanglish - thank you, that's very helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: