Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach in Turkey without TEFL?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitchm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Teach in Turkey without TEFL? Reply with quote

From what I've gathered you won't be able to get a work visa without a TEFL or Celta cert...just wondering if maybe there is some flex to this rule like in China.

I have:

B.A. in English
M.A. in English
2 years teaching writing at state university in U.S.
1 year teaching EFL at university in China.

If all else fails, will go over early and do a CELTA there.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've often heard anecdotally is that even the Y�K can be flexible about the general requirements in the right circumstances. If you have an MA in English, it's worth a shot applying to a uni. Language schools that don't bother with legalities might hire you, but I don't think any of them have the clout to waive the TESOL requirement. Mine didn't and, an employee who has a Master's in English had to go back to the states for a TESOL cert before the Y�K would give him a work permit.

If you want to teach legally, really try to get a job at a uni somewhere outside the bigger cities. You might not get one, but if you're a native speaker with a Master's you might. (If you're not a native speaker, I should let you know that Turkey is flooded right now with Syrians holding MA's in English or TESOL who can't get any work, legal or otherwise.)

I'd especially try the public unis in the smaller cities. Usually an MA is a requirement for unis, except in the prep schools, but I'm not sure about a TESOL cert. I know in the US, with your experience and quals, you could probably get hired to teach intro to composition at a community college in Podunk, Nebraska. though of course in Turkey it comes back to the immigration thing. But Turkey can be flexible about immigration when it needs to be, and if anybody has pull with the Y�K where requirements are concerned, it'll be the public unis in emerging cities. If I were you I'd send out my resume and a CV to every university in a city classified as an "Anatolian Tiger."

Best of luck, and if you get a job and end up in the Southeast, drop me a line.

Regards,
~Q
mitchm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply...truly valuable info for me. So now im wondering: Ive done one stint of EFL teaching abroad and this will likely be my last. While I certainly dont object to the idea of improving my teaching skills, I dont think im willing to go for a CELTA in this scenario. Id like to hit the ground in early January and will need to be back in the states by May or June...since ITI only offers celta in february that just eats too much time.

Would completing some kind of lesser, quicker, and cheaper cert online or in person do the trick solely for purposes of getting a work permit? If so, any reccomendations for particular programs?

edit: I should clarify that I am only willing to teach legally and in Istanbul. Big requirements, perhaps, but it's not a do or die situation. If it doesnt work out, then so be it (though I would very much like for it to work out!)
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want to teach:

- legally
- in Istanbul
- without any TESOL certification

Pick any two.

If you want to teach for only six months or less, I don't think you'll find any employer that's willing to get you a work permit, even if they could, which means the online TESOL question is moot (that said, sedaa91 had a similar question, which it seems no one could answer).

So I'd say either get a job with a private language school that doesn't bother with legalities (which in Istanbul, is almost all of them), or take a miss on Turkey for now and come back later as a tourist once you're established in whatever more lucrative field you're planning on going into.

Regards,
~Q
mitchm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the info.

If most language schools dont bother getting their teachers a work permit, then I guess it is indeed moot.

As it stands now I think Ill buy a roundtrip ticket for about a month, find a sublet and see what happens. Maybe if it turns out to be the place for me I'll suck it up and do the February Celta at ITI.
mitchm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the info.

If most language schools dont bother getting their teachers a work permit, then I guess it is indeed moot.

As it stands now I think Ill buy a roundtrip ticket for about a month, find a sublet and see what happens. Maybe if it turns out to be the place for me I'll suck it up and do the February Celta at ITI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: