Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Porridge

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vabeckele



Joined: 19 Nov 2010
Posts: 439

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Porridge Reply with quote

Hello all teachers in Thailand.


I would like to know, well many things, but I would like to start with where to find porridge?

Can anyone help? And is it as cheap as in the UK? I have been over in Vietnam paying possibly as much a triple the amount back home.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
tttompatz



Joined: 06 Mar 2010
Posts: 1951
Location: Talibon, Bohol, Philippines

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Porridge Reply with quote

vabeckele wrote:
Hello all teachers in Thailand.


I would like to know, well many things, but I would like to start with where to find porridge?

Can anyone help? And is it as cheap as in the UK? I have been over in Vietnam paying possibly as much a triple the amount back home.


Oatmeal is readily available in any large grocery store and pretty cheap too.
If you want "brand name" like Quaker Oats then you will pay more.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vabeckele



Joined: 19 Nov 2010
Posts: 439

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Porridge Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
vabeckele wrote:
Hello all teachers in Thailand.


I would like to know, well many things, but I would like to start with where to find porridge?

Can anyone help? And is it as cheap as in the UK? I have been over in Vietnam paying possibly as much a triple the amount back home.


Oatmeal is readily available in any large grocery store and pretty cheap too.
If you want "brand name" like Quaker Oats then you will pay more.

.


Thank you for that, tttompatz. Much appreciated.

Vab
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sigmoid



Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 1002

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you've left VN, eh? Not sure if Thailand is better, but it is different...

You must have just arrived. You'll soon find that shopping in Thailand is a much more convenient experience than spending days, weeks, months searching for some item, often to no avail, in HCMC or HN.

If you're in Bangkok, the best thing may be to head up to the Sukhumvit area (depends on your location) and check Foodland:

http://foodland.co.th/index.php?option=com_storelocator&view=map&Itemid=56&lang=en

or Villa

http://www.villamarket.com/gb/store

but as Tom says above, ordinary oatmeal should be relatively easy to find.

You'll need a lot of patience for the traffic and sales staff though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plumpy nut



Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 758

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Porridge something like Malt-o-meal? Even thought I've never had "porridge" I'm pretty sure its made from wheat. Also "porridge" has to be British. My whole time growing up in the USA I was never served porridge although I'd heard the name.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sigmoid



Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 1002

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was wondering about that (if porridge = oatmeal) too...

Wikipedia defines it as "...a dish made by boiling ground, crushed, or chopped cereal in water, milk, or both, with optional flavourings, usually served hot in a bowl or dish."

It goes on to say: "The term is usually used for oat porridge (porridge oats)."

The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary states: "1 (especially British English) (North American English usually oatmeal)
a type of soft thick white food made by boiling oats in milk or water, eaten hot, especially for breakfast."

Americans are usually only familiar with "porridge" through Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

Anyway, Foodland or Villa should have it as well as Tesco-Lotus or Carrefour, maybe even 7-11. Shopping in Bangkok and other urban areas of Thailand is pretty much unlimited.

You'd probably even be able to find "curds and whey". Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vabeckele



Joined: 19 Nov 2010
Posts: 439

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: sideways Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
So, you've left VN, eh? Not sure if Thailand is better, but it is different...

You must have just arrived. You'll soon find that shopping in Thailand is a much more convenient experience than spending days, weeks, months searching for some item, often to no avail, in HCMC or HN.

If you're in Bangkok, the best thing may be to head up to the Sukhumvit area (depends on your location) and check Foodland:

http://foodland.co.th/index.php?option=com_storelocator&view=map&Itemid=56&lang=en

or Villa

http://www.villamarket.com/gb/store

but as Tom says above, ordinary oatmeal should be relatively easy to find.


You'll need a lot of patience for the traffic and sales staff though.



Thanks, and indeed, to be more exact, I was and am looking for oats, either rolled or cut.

Yes, moved away from Vietnam as I have become jaded by it all lately and need a change. I have visited Thailand a few times and now I have the opportunity to stay for a while. A bit more stability and the perks are a bit better; I have a pool and a gym in my complex and all for free.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC