Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my chances???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
basbas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: What are my chances??? Reply with quote

My GF just got a pretty decent job in Japan (Koenji Tokyo) and is moving there soon.

I'm just finishing up a contract in shanghai,

I'm just going to fly there and look for a job

I don't speak any Japanese but I speak a little Chinese

i have a about 5 years teaching experience (mostly in China but in Korea andCanada my home country as well)

I have an MA in philosophy and two tefl teaching certificate (one online for kids the other 60 hours with practicum)

Am I doing something foolish here, am I jumping into something that could be bad I have a bit of money saved up so if I am out of work for a month or two it's not the end of the world.

What do people think?
timothypfox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I'm not giving you a personalized answer. There are a lot of people who ask the exact same types of questions. Have a good look around this discussion board for previous posts that are similar to yours.

Most recently, you can start here:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=99077

Good luck!
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big question is this: when do you plan to come? From now to end of January is pretty dead.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice, Koenji is a good place to live. If she's moving there anyway, then I don't see a problem. You won't have to pay rent for a couple of months before you get your first paycheck.
jmatt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneJoelFifty wrote:
That's nice, Koenji is a good place to live. If she's moving there anyway, then I don't see a problem. You won't have to pay rent for a couple of months before you get your first paycheck.

You could certainly have worse places to live----Koenji's awesome. The area of Nakano/Suginami/Musashino from Nakano to Kichijoji on the Chuo/Sobu line is the best place to live in Tokyo, IMO. I lived in Kichijoji for 2 1/2 years, and Koenji for 3, and absolutely loved it---especially Koenji. Combines a shitamachi atmosphere with the trendier areas of West Tokyo---lots of cool & cheap izakaya and bars and a down-to-earth vibe. Great, great area to be in. Will be moving back to the area next month---in Suginami, between Nishi-Ogikubo and Kichijoji.

If you've got a free place to stay and some time to kill, you'll undoubtedly find some sort of job. If you don't have any money saved to hold you, well then, good luck! Again, you could be in worse areas of the city.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: