Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Walking and age
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coledavis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen that, but I guess it makes sense. Smile
Ariadne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elevators... idiots trying to board before others have had a chance to exit.
coledavis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the brainpower necessary to hatch such a strategy!
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't get me started on lousy drivers. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Regards,
John
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coledavis wrote:
I haven't seen that, but I guess it makes sense. Smile

They usually chatter on phones at the turnstiles, though conversing with a mate who is on the other side of the barrier isn't uncommon either. Of course, there is the intricate search of the handbag to find a metro card - always takes place right at the turnstile, usually blocking at least two of them. Especially prevalent during rush hour, which leads to even more jostling.
artemisia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once asked group of students to come up with examples of everyday or typical annoyances. I can't remember why now - probably related to some reading passage. They had plenty of good examples (eg., cinema behaviour: loud talking by people in front or behind, especially when the film's already been seen and the talkers are giving away major parts of the plot).

One other example was people walking in a group in front of you along a street and suddenly stopping without warning so that you'd almost trip over their heels. I've experienced this, too, but the worst pedestrian behaviour for me is those who push and shove their way ahead - rush to get in front of you - and THEN walk really slowly! The trouble is I think I might've been guilty of a few of these examples from time to time (Embarassed), for instance, suddenly stopping in the middle of the street when I've realised I've forgotten something.. (This thread may prove to be a spin off from the archetypal P.P's one).
teacheratlarge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised to see subject come up. I thought only people in Asia block the turnstile or exit. We also get uni students that like to wait for people in front of the entrance/exit to the station.

Artemisia mentioned about people shooting out and then just crawling along, happens a lot here. Many people come out and don't even look for an opening in the pedestrian traffic (and strangely they are wondering why they sometimes collide with others). I haven't seen this happen in the Western Europe countries I have traveled to, so I am not sure how prevalent it is in those countries (UK, France, Malta, Italy).
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I haven't seen this happen in the Western Europe countries I have traveled to, so I am not sure how prevalent it is in those countries (UK, France, Malta, Italy

I don't think that visiting a country as a tourist is likely to give one a realistic picture of real daily life there.

Even relatively extended visits are unlikely to take one off the tourist paths enough to make any judgements at this level. Further, there's a honeymoon period with lots of this behaviour - it may be amusing the first few times the charming little old lady jumps in front of you at the bread shop, but it gets old with time.

Those of us who've lived for some years in a country have earned the right to complain Very Happy
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemisia wrote:
Is it the Modern (technological) Age? The Rise of Individualism? People too concerned about their latest phone text to bother where they�re going?

I'd agree. Our tech toys have largely divorced us from the real world.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These new "tech toys" are trhe modern equivalent of the Tower of Babel !
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear LongShiKong,

One slight edit:

"Our tech toys have virtually divorced us from the real world."

Regards,
John
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear LongShiKong,

One slight edit:

"Our tech toys have virtually divorced us from the real world."

Dear johnslat: Please help me understand your edit. My feeling is that this divorce is real, not just virtual. I'm sure you've heard of texting drivers getting into accidents, the perils of video game and internet addiction. Furthermore, I feel there's nothing social about social media--once you mediate social relationships, you could just as easily live on separate planets. I was using the term 'divorce' metaphorically for emphasis. 'Largely' as defined by one online definition reads: 1. principally; to a great extent. 2. on a large scale or in a large manner. That's the meaning I had in mind.
----------
Back on Topic: As for people being oblivious to the needs of those around them, this is quite common here in China and increasingly common back home in Canada. I was taught 'Look both ways before you cross the street' and the Judeo-Christian ethic of showing consideration for others but thanks to an increasingly competitive and secular/pluralistic society those values have diminished (the 'me' generation or individualism as someone else stated). One need look no further than how people get onto mass transit or elevators for proof.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the Judeo-Christian ethic of showing consideration for others

Hmm. My parents were missionaries; meaning that I got lots of grounding in Biblical principles and etc - and I don't recall common courtesy and consideration being specifically a 'Judeo-Christian ethic.'
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that what we need to reverse this alarming trend is a local office of Communist Party of the Soviet Union for everywhere on the planet where there is a dangerous group of three or more people standing or walking together. Only proper ideological training and re-education seems to have any effect. It's that or the electrodes.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear LongShiKong,

It was a pun:

vir�tu�al�ly/ˈvərCHo͞oəlē/
Adverb:

1.Nearly; almost.
2. By means of virtual reality techniques.

But puns lose their PUNch when one has to explain them:(

Regards,
Virtually John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: