Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paperwork preparations....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tideout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Paperwork preparations.... Reply with quote

I'm about to leave my home hemisphere and wanted to do a last check on any paperwork requirements before I leave "home".

It appears people go to Thailand with a variety of backgrounds and different levels of being prepared. I'm not going there with the idea of "backpacking" in and then leaving after 3 months so I want to be prepared for the longer haul in terms of documents.

Currently I have the following:

US passport
Birth certificate - w/ apostille
TESOL cert. - w/apostille
B.A. degree - w/ apostille
FBI background check (about a year old) - w/ apostille
College transcript w/ the last two years of my degree (doesn't include my first two years that I transferred in with).

Anything else missing for the long haul or better opportunities?

Thoughts are appreciated.

tideout.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Paperwork preparations.... Reply with quote

tideout wrote:

Unneccesary considering you have to have a passport to get into another country

tideout wrote:

Jobs that require a background check might require a check that has been done within 6 months. I would get a State Police background check.
You have it within two weeks. The only country that I know of that requires FBI CBC's is Korea. If you want to be sure get both a State Police check and FBI check.

tideout wrote:
College transcript w/ the last two years of my degree (doesn't include my first two years that I transferred in with).

They usually don't include transfer classes, All employers usually want to see is grade point average and that you have the degree.
tideout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Paperwork preparations.... Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
tideout wrote:

Unneccesary considering you have to have a passport to get into another country

tideout wrote:

Jobs that require a background check might require a check that has been done within 6 months. I would get a State Police background check.
You have it within two weeks. The only country that I know of that requires FBI CBC's is Korea. If you want to be sure get both a State Police check and FBI check.

tideout wrote:

They usually don't include transfer classes, All employers usually want to see is grade point average and that you have the degree.

Thanks for your response. I've got another FBI check due to arrive in about 2 weeks or so. I'll get it apostilled via family in the US.

Although I'm not in Korea now, that's what I do - make a cup of coffee in the morning and start thinking about the next FBI check! Rolling Eyes

Thanks for your thoughts on the transcript as likely being enough. Looks like I'm pretty ready to go.....

Regards,
tideout
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand is NOT a signatory to the apostille treaty so you don't need the added time and expense to get an apostille on your documents.

As an American you need:
passport
degree
transcripts
CBC for work at the better schools and occasionally for immigration. State level is fine.

Some employers want (or care) to see a TEFL cert. The vast majority don't care provided you meet the requirements for a visa and work permit.
(doubly so for work in government/public/temple schools.)

tideout

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses! Looks like I'll be booking a flight soon.

Regards,
tideout
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: