Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much face time in your university classroom?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaqueiro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: How much face time in your university classroom? Reply with quote

I did some math to compare my current workload (f/t at a Japanese university) with a friend's at a university in Korea. Although both jobs have similar teaching loads (15 vs. 14 hours per week) and 15-week semester systems, the amount of actual teaching I do in Japan is much greater. Here's what I came up with:

Me: 90-minute classes * 10 = 15 hours/week in the classroom
Friend: 50-minute classes * 14 = 11.67 hours/week in the classroom

Me: (15 weeks * 5 days) - 1.5 off-days = 73.5 teaching days this semester
Friend: (15 weeks * 5 days) - 11 off-days = 63 teaching days this semester

Total (Me): 73.5 * (15/5) = 220.5 hours/semester (~441/year)
Total (Friend): 63 * (11.67/5) = 147 hours/semester (~294/year)

Ratio: 441/294 = 1.5:1. Conclusion: I spend 50% more time in the classroom than my friend, despite the similarity of our job descriptions.

How do your positions compare? I'd like to keep this particular question independent of salary and benefits.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you and he contract FT workers, part-time workers, or full-time permanent staff? Numbers will differ.

I'm FT permanent. I teach ~5 x 90 minutes classes per week (7.5 hours). Officially, I get no classes on September, December, and March, plus other miscellaneous days including most of August and half of February. (I still have to show up for work, but I can take off up to 40 days of paid vacation per year.)

Of course, I also take part in entrance exams (2) per year, do proofreading of staff and faculty and student papers, attend faculty development meetings, clean the school grounds, take part in open campus, manage a resource center, etc. My uni prefers that we publish at least one paper per year (which I do, sometimes more), and I also travel to conferences where I present and/or attend talks. I have a 3-year grant, so that keeps me busy, too. I'm also an editor for a JALT journal.

You also need to ask your K counterpart about salary and bonuses, any additional payments (housing? commuting?), health insurance, visa (definitely different!), and chances of renewing the visa.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: