Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Labour advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
now in ksa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Labour advice Reply with quote

I have read the labour laws posted in the sticky bout couldn't find a clear answer, I wonder if anyone knows?

At the end of Ramadan just as I was due to fly back to work I was taken ill, pulmonary embolisms meant that not only could I not return to work, it was too dangerous to fly for 6 weeks. On arriving back work has told me that sick pay only counts if you are in the kingdom at the time. I have checked and the sticky mentioned that sick leave can be combined with holiday leave.

Work told another employee that since he was handing in his notice and not fulfilling his contract he had to pay his own way home so its not necessarily a given that they're telling the truth on the matter.

Has anyone had a similar incident or know someone who has? Any advice appreciated.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could ask at the local branch of the Labour Office.
King Ali

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Labour advice Reply with quote

now in ksa wrote:
I have read the labour laws posted in the sticky bout couldn't find a clear answer, I wonder if anyone knows?

At the end of Ramadan just as I was due to fly back to work I was taken ill, pulmonary embolisms meant that not only could I not return to work, it was too dangerous to fly for 6 weeks. On arriving back work has told me that sick pay only counts if you are in the kingdom at the time. I have checked and the sticky mentioned that sick leave can be combined with holiday leave.

You employer is right. According to the Saudi labour laws, you are not entitled to a sick pay if you were ill outside the Kingdom.

Quote:
Work told another employee that since he was handing in his notice and not fulfilling his contract he had to pay his own way home so its not necessarily a given that they're telling the truth on the matter.

Yes, they are telling the truth. If you resign or give your notice before the end of your contract, and the employer does not agree or accept your notice, then you will be responsible for your own flight ticket, and under certain cases you may pay your employer two months from your salary.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear now in ksa,

I believe that King Ali is (unfortunately) right on both counts.

Regards,
John
now in ksa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear now in ksa,

I believe that King Ali is (unfortunately) right on both counts.

Regards,
John

So I fear oh well. Thanks for response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: