Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incentives in the workplace?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixthchild

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Incentives in the workplace? Reply with quote

There was a time not so long ago, when schools would dangle all sorts of extra perks and goodies to get the foreign teachers recruited, free accomodation, above average salary, flights home, yearly bonus, trips away on school expense, etc, etc, nowadays you are hard pushed to find anywhere that will offer more than the monthly salary and a daily attack on your digestive system in the form of their unappetising and tasteless excuse for food.

So does the place you work at offer anything in the way of incentives/perks/extras, call them what you will in the vain hope it may make you stay just a bit longer until they can find more fresh, naive, meat to take your place!
sixthchild

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally amazing! After 50+ views no-one has anything to report, clearly the situation is worse than I thought, clearly we are under selling our selves or we don't think we are worth very much!

Don't see how we can preach any kind of professionalism if we don't think we are worthy of a good employment package.
lucia79

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does glassfuls of tea and biscuits count? Laughing
delal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Forget incentives=decent pay please Reply with quote

Forget incentives-I've just discovered that teachers at two schools are earning 1000 tl more than me a month (for the same job and hours) and that one at another, who isn't even qualified to teach, is getting 500 tl more a month Mad
Guess who's going to change schools at the end of this academic year...
sixthchild

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah, that happens--- a lot, and its either because you didn't sell yourself very well or they didn't think you were worth more, same thing basically, just different perseptives. I work with two young ladies who are native speakers and they (imho) have a more challenging task to face on a daily basis, yet they earn half my salary, subcontracted by a language school and getting royally seen to.
Now if we hop over to the job page and hey-presto something is on offer at of all places good ole Giziantep and just look at those incentives, paid in dollars, accomodation, meals, flights,transportation, now that is a job worth applying for. Only problem they don't answer the e-mails I sent em!!!!
delal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: er Reply with quote

When I calmed down, I crunched the numbers and realised that although one is earning more than 1,000 tl more than me, one school is well known for managing to pay the minimum social security payments, and that the extra pay most probably also includes overtime in both cases. One of them is also paying at least 500 tl a month in school-related child expenses (which I don't have at my place for my kid as it's a different set up). Plus my basic work hours are actually less than theirs. Plus I actually enjoy working at my place. Swings and roundabouts.

So the bottom line is now: are an employer who pays full social security and job satisfaction (really) incentives? Laughing

PS There was a TED Koleji opening in Hatay. Surely they must be offering a bells and whistles package for foreign teachers
delal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: pay rise Reply with quote

Got a pay rise todat-now that's an incentive! Razz
paul2key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Free Lunch Reply with quote

Although I'm told it is standard for ALL employees in Turkey (so maybe not a perk for foreign teachers), my university serves a free lunch. Although some complain about the food being mundane, I like it. They always have a two entrees to choose from: a vegetarian option and something with a bit of "meat" or chicken. I think it's a plus!
sixthchild

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my, you poor deluded soul, haven't you ever heard the expression "theres no such thing as a free lunch"!
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school gives all employees (foreign and native) a food card that can be used at a large number of restaurants. (I assume they get some sort of discount or they'd just give us the cash, but my base salary is slightly above the going rate even without the food card.) The problem is that my favorite restaurants don't accept it, and even some of those that do will sometimes ask me to pay in cash and make a big fuss if I try to use the food card. As such, despite being in food-obsessed Antep, I usually end up eating at Matmah, a Turkish fast-food chain that accepts the card without whining and making faces.

On the other hand, some great restaurants in other Turkish cities do accept it, and it's a nice bonus that I basically get a free lunch every day, and not from a school cafeteria, even if the variety is somewhat limited by my willingness to attempt to argue in Turkish.

~Q
sixthchild

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that ain't a bad incentive! Is it really too hard to find some where that makes you wanna get up and go to work coz its such a nice place to work in?
delal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me strangely positive about living and working in Turkey if you like, but I really like my job and the kids Very Happy
I know I'm just about to leave myself open to all kinds of criticism, but after having worked in many places (here and worldwide), I realise that no job is perfect and I have much more realistic expectations than I did say 10 years ago. Added to that, for personal reasons, I'm also here for the long haul (I have friends I can count on, both foreign and Turkish, a wider support network and can speak the lang) so my expectations of a job are also different to people who are getting set up.I know lots of other foreign teachers who are in the same position.
Having said that, I'm not in Istanbul (but I have worked in a few capitals), like many posters appear to be, which is a very challenging and physically tiring place to get set up in, especially as a single person.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowt to be apologetic about, positive is good. If you have a half decent job and you get on all right with the kids and yr boss doesn't take liberties then you are one of the lucky few. I have been here a while and see staying here as something that will not change for at least the next five-7 years.
This thread was started out of courisity to see how many people would stand up and say something totally stupid like we are very fortunate to have a job without any extras, yes, there are one or two out there who should know better.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sixthchild, I've noticed that most of the really negative postings on the work situation in Turkey as a whole seem to come from one particular poster, with a couple other posters showing up to say negative things about particular employers. I haven't seen any of those posters around in awhile. (Though perhaps if I bring up said employers, some of the latter group will show up.)

The work situation for garden-variety TEFLers (no MA, no public school teaching credentials, and no Turkish connections) certainly isn't great, and has apparently been stagnant or even slightly backwards trending, but it's not terrible, unless you let yourself get taken advantage up by not researching the situation and/or taking offers with sub-standard pay and benefits for the city in which you're working. I count myself of one of the garden-variety kind of TEFLer (though arguably I have some Turkish connections at this point), but I still think it's probably one of the better ESL markets outside of East Asia, and certainly one of the best places to live.

~Q
billy orr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you say is so true, Q.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: