Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YMCA OSCY Program?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nomad79

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: YMCA OSCY Program? Reply with quote

Ever heard of this program, how old the students are and how I can apply? When I followed the instructions and called the YMCA's HQs in Chicago I got two people on the phone who only seemed to marginally know what I was talking about. Sounds like it's gotta be at least better than Hess or Kojen. I want to teach adults at GLV (yeah, yeah , I know...) but this seems like a good way in. Anyway this is the only place I could find mention of it: http://www.jobmonkey.com/teaching/asia/html/job_sources_in_taiwan.html

Waiting to hear back from one of the Y's I e-mailed last night in Taipei.

YMCA's OSCY Program

The Overseas Service Corps YMCA program (OSCY) places 25 - 30 teachers in local YMCAs throughout Taiwan. Preference is given to those who have had training and/or experience in TEFL, who want to learn about Chinese culture, and who have knowledge of or a sincere desire to learn Mandarin Chinese or Taiwanese. You need to be in North America to apply for this program, and interviews take place in the United States.

Requirements

One-year commitment
Four-year degree
Native of an English-speaking country with a strong command of written and spoken language
Strong interest in teaching
Private tutoring is forbidden
Benefits

Housing
Medical insurance
One week paid vacation after the first six months
NT$12,000 contract-completion bonus
Sponsorship for a resident visa
Preparation of Taiwanese tax documents by the YMCA
Airfare to United States on completion of contract
Orientation and training
Student loan deferment while abroad
There are nine YMCAs in Taiwan: Kaohsiung, Tainan, Chiayi, Chang Hua, Nantou, Taichung, Taipei, Taipei County, and Keelung.

There is an April 15 deadline for September 1 placements. For more information and an application, contact:

International Division
YMCA of the USA
101 North Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606
(800) 872-9622
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: