Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New INM Rules as of November 9, 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Permanent residency based on points Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:
On Friday, I got the online notice to report to the offices of INM to complete the process for permanent residency, based on the points system. Looks like the tramite is moving forward, normally, following the long break for Christmas.

That's good news for you, but I'm at a loss to understand how you can get permanent residency based on a points system that has yet to be defined. In any event, let us know how things work out.
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, remember I told you I thought this whole issue of the non existence of the final version of the points system was an internal matter: if the delegate decides to approve my application based on what I submitted, and it appears he has, the question becomes moot.

My application was appealing on the merits, as well as the human element, which I tried to emphasize in my cover letter. I let them know I'd been shaping my life for a long term stay in Mexico since I arrived, in 2009, and I had plenty of evidence to support that assertion.

I still have to make it through an interview in which my mastery of Spanish will be the main issue.
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out they had already approved my application and there was nothing further to do, aside from fingerprinting and submitting photos and proof of payment. They told me the card will be ready in about two-three weeks.

Cost was 1,000 pesos paid with the application, and another 3,815 paid after the application had been approved.

I've enjoyed the challenge of dealing with them over the last three years, but not to have the expense and time it took each year will be nice.
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Permanent residency, point system Reply with quote

The wait proved to be more like six, rather than the two to three weeks that had been predicted but today I received my Residente Permanente, based on the new point system.

I�ll be celebrating my freedom, starting tonight!
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Permanent residency, point system Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:
The wait proved to be more like six, rather than the two to three weeks that had been predicted but today I received my Residente Permanente, based on the new point system.

I�ll be celebrating my freedom, starting tonight!

Congratulations! A question: I don't believe the details of the new point system have yet to be published, so how did you use it to get RP status?
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Congratulations! A question: I don't believe the details of the new point system have yet to be published, so how did you use it to get RP status?

Thanks, Guapa!

For an answer to your question, look back at your post of Jan 14, and my reply of Jan 15.

When we say the full details of the point system haven�t been published, yet, it doesn�t tell the whole story. The eight areas of an applicant's life which are to be examined under the point system are spelled out in the law, and the point system is the law, it�s just that how many points you get for this and that- of use in a close case- haven�t been spelled out.

If the Delegado feels the application has merit he can go ahead and approve it, as he did, in my case- with or without the detail of the points system.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see - thanks for the explanation.

When I went to INM on Tuesday, I was given a copy of the form entitled "Cambio de condici�n de estancia de residente temporal a residente permanente". Here's what it had to say about the point system:
"En caso de sistema de puntos, deber� presentar los documentos que acrediten los indicadores y puntaje m�nimo requeridos conforme al acuerdo que al efecto se publique en el Diario Oficial de la Federaci�n.

I guess that you presented information about the"indicadores" but skipped the part about the "puntaje m�nimo", right?
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nay, Guapa, I considered that, too. Here's what I wrote about it on this thread on Dec 16.
Quote:
I didn't have the luxury of concerning myself with what the point system might eventually say, since I had to file to renew before they came out, but I also considered this to be primarily an internal issue for the INM, as I was unconcerned if they waited till the point system was published to rule on my case.

It seems they decided that, whatever the point system might eventually say, my application would be well above the threshhold for qualification on this basis.

I was a little light on items from the list numbered V. Aptitudes en ciencia y tecnolog�a; and, VI. Reconocimientos o premios internacionales, but I had something to offer on every other category. It still could have gone the other way, or been greatly delayed; but, as I said, all this were internal matters for INM, not anything for me to concern myself with: had they refused to take the case for lack of an established point system, I'd have simply applied for an extension of my FM2.

My primary object in attempting this was to get myself to a position where I could accept any lawful employment, or pursue any lawful remunerative activity, without having to get permission from INM. What I now have, which was different from what I had before, is permission to do any kind of work a Mexican with the same qualifications could do- not just teach English, as my former permission to work independently had done: from now on, I must merely keep INM informed of my lucrative activities, not ask for permission for each different category of activity.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long Mexico keeps the hassle free 180 day tourist card upon arrival, that's all I care about Razz
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:

. . . My primary object in attempting this was to get myself to a position where I could accept any lawful employment, or pursue any lawful remunerative activity, without having to get permission from INM. What I now have, which was different from what I had before, is permission to do any kind of work a Mexican with the same qualifications could do- not just teach English, as my former permission to work independently had done: from now on, I must merely keep INM informed of my lucrative activities, not ask for permission for each different category of activity.

I'm looking forward to that too. What does keeping INM informed about your "lucrative activities" mean? Would I have to let them know every time I get a new translation or teaching job? I doubt they'd be interested in that!
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reading of it is that you notify them when you've made a change in your employment, whether adding or subtracting employers; and, when making changes to the type of work you are doing, adding new catgories of work or dropping old. Starting a business would certainly qualify as a change in your remunerative activities, and require notice.

When self employed, a change in the clients you serve without a change in the nature of the service provided would not qualify as a change in which they would be interested, as I see it.

As to when and how to do it, you have 90 days in which to submit a tramite which can be found on the INM website.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:
My reading of it is that you notify them when you've made a change in your employment, whether adding or subtracting employers; and, when making changes to the type of work you are doing, adding new catgories of work or dropping old. Starting a business would certainly qualify as a change in your remunerative activities, and require notice.

When self employed, a change in the clients you serve without a change in the nature of the service provided would not qualify as a change in which they would be interested, as I see it.

As to when and how to do it, you have 90 days in which to submit a tramite which can be found on the INM website.

Thanks for more useful information, T. When I go to apply for RP status next month, I'll ask for more details.
j_nmi_rutledge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everyone. i'm new here, and really trying to find my answers through previous posts. but there is just so much info here. every time i read a new thread, i have 11'venty more questions. so, in an attempt not to be a newbie pain in the neck, maybe i should try this...

what are some good resources for finding information regarding the new laws on my own? and what are the best ways to maneuver within those resources?

i have this link
http://dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5190774&fecha=25/05/2011

and have found good info there. but i can't find answers for some things, like who is defined as and eligible for concubina status? how is that measured/proven?

Tretsyakovski's situation makes me wonder about what types of work i could do legally depending on my status (was hoping to hustle up work in addition to teaching EFL if need be).

these are just 2 areas in which i am now more confused than before. i have read so much over the last few days that i think i am making things more difficult than necessary Shocked

any help is greatly appreciated!
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping in mind that there are different pathways to achieving a migratory status in Mexico, and each has its own requirements, will help avoid confusion.

For example, though you have to get an offer and apply for a visa abroad in order to come here to work, as a general rule, this doesn't require that you have any money at all- just a solid job offer and an employer willing to sponsor the visa.

If your permission to enter visa free, and change to resident status based on family ties to a Mexican Citizen once you were in the country, then "means testing" comes into play, but in a much looser sense of general financial ability of the couple to make it here; however, if your permission to remain in country were to be based on a relationship with another foreigner then the high dollar means testing you spoke of would come into play. Either way, once you have gone from visa free entry to residence status by any route, you can then ask for a change of activities, to include work, if you have a solid job offer here. (Readers will notice a two step approach involved in this, more expensive and time consuming but necessary, in my opinion, if one does not want to have to leave the country to apply for a visa but ultimately aims to work.)

Hope some of this helps. The later route does stake a lot on the relationship, however.

Last edited by Tretyakovskii on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
j_nmi_rutledge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Keeping in mind that there are different pathways to achieving a migratory status in Mexico, and each has its own requirements, will help avoid confusion.

this sounds like great advice!

and yes, it helps a lot. it also reinforces for me that i am going to have to fall back on MotherF's advice from another thread and rely on my finance to run down all the answers there locally. i have so much to get done ahead of leaving, i just can't try to navigate all this. it's just too much!

i am so glad i found this forum. y'all are a comforting resource. i wonder if y'all know that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: