Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

location, location, location? where to study for my CELTA?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_nmi_rutledge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: location, location, location? where to study for my CELTA? Reply with quote

hi peoples!

i am navigating the world of TEFL trying to learn all i can to break in to this illustrious career field. and i have read many threads here, with much more studying to do. but i need to register for my class, and to that end i have a question i don't think i have seen addressed.

how helpful can the location of your training school be in finding work after?

let me expand...

i know that the promises of job placement are overstated at best. i'm not speaking to that. what i am wondering is if, generally speaking, it is easier to find a job within the geographical area in which you studied. of course, physical presence will make it easier to find a job in a certain area. but might the school you go to have better connections closer to their location, should they be so inclined or capable of helping with your job search?

the reason i ask is that i am looking at IH in Playa del Carmen versus IH in Mexico City.

why IH? because 1. they seem to be the only group in country to offer the CELTA 2. they conform to all the things that this board (and others) seems to recommend for a 1 month intensive (120 contact hours, 6+ hours of practicum, externally monitored, CELTA) and 3. the only thing i have found on here about them pertains to them as an employer (not the best, not the worst, as good or better a place as any to start out).

now, if i had my druthers, i would eventually work in the Yucatan, cause hey, Yucatan amiright? Wink but this board paints the picture that there are more teachers than positions out there - it can be a tough market. i am worried that if i got a bad placement i would have few recourses. so i am not sure that is a sound place to start with my limited background***.

what DF offers over the Yucatan is my amazing and wonderful hunk-a-burnin' fiance. also, it seems many more opportunities for employment so that one bad placement could more easily be overcome.

so i guess this is a two-parter.
is DF a safer place to start than PdC for someone with a limited resume***?
will (or can) the location of your certifying school = a better time searching for a job?

also, if anyone has any info to share about IH as a certifying school, that would be wonderful, especially if you think i have assessed that incorrectly.

***limited background: i have a BA in Latin American Studies, some experience in teaching environments (lots of hours in the elementary setting, more informal than formal, a few years substitute teaching; ran a smallish church-sponsored daycare and implemented learning-through-play programs for the 4 & 5 year-olds), extremely hard working and conscientiious, cannot spell conscientious, have a positive, can-do attitude, have recently begun volunteering to help in an EFL class here in SC that is run by a church and is very informal.

thanks for any replies!
donato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. DF you will have lots of opportunities. Whether you choose a low-stress life of poverty working for a language school or a high-stress but well-paid colegio and everything else.

2. IH is fine as a certifying school. I know many who have their CELTA from them. It doesn't matter where you do it, they're not the one's technically issuing them anyway. It's just a piece of paper so I wouldn't stress over any quality difference between DF or PDC. It should be good at both however.
j_nmi_rutledge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi donato,

thanks for the info!

i think i'm going to DF!!! i am so excited!
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to say that I don't think it would make that much difference for getting a job, but having a connection in DF and a place to live already will help you, so you might as well go to Playa del Carmen (though don't expect to have free time during the course!) and relax a couple of days afterwards then go to DF to start your job hunt.

Also, SIT (The School for International Training) has an excellent certificate course that they offer in Oaxaca a couple of times a year. It's not as well known as the CELTA, but I think it might actually be better quality. It depends on who you get as a trainer.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donato wrote:
1. DF you will have lots of opportunities. Whether you choose a low-stress life of poverty working for a language school or a high-stress but well-paid colegio and everything else.

2. IH is fine as a certifying school. I know many who have their CELTA from them. It doesn't matter where you do it, they're not the one's technically issuing them anyway. It's just a piece of paper so I wouldn't stress over any quality difference between DF or PDC. It should be good at both however.

If you plan to stay in Mexico, you might want to look into doing a Teacher�s Diploma that is recognized by the SEP (Mexican Education Department) as that is now a requirement for pretty much any school you might want to work for outside of language schools. The best ones are the CELE through the Language Center at UNAM and the Teacher�s Diploma at the Universidad Panamericana. The same gentleman runs the language center at both places, and most of the materials are the same as the CELE I took the course at Panamericana, and it was an excellent course. It includes 220 hours of instruction, class obervations and observed practice teaching.
j_nmi_rutledge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF - excellent point. i got an email from IH about doing my interview this week, and it was from someone at the PdC location even though i applied at the DF location web page, so i am guessing i still have a window to decide. idk. Sr. Awesome and i have been apart for a few months already now, so i may just go ahead and head to DF to be with him. separation sux, as does not being independently wealthy. where did i lose my tiara?

BadB - thanks for that info. something i will def look in to. 220 contact hours sounds like a lot (in terms of trying to get it in this summer on top of the CELTA and job hunting). i wonder if it is something i can wait to do after i've tested the waters a bit...
MotherF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_nmi_rutledge wrote:
MotherF - excellent point. i got an email from IH about doing my interview this week, and it was from someone at the PdC location even though i applied at the DF location web page, so i am guessing i still have a window to decide. idk. Sr. Awesome and i have been apart for a few months already now, so i may just go ahead and head to DF to be with him. separation sux, as does not being independently wealthy. where did i lose my tiara?

I'm coming up on my 10th anniversary and a large part of the success of my marriage has to do with our ability to be apart.

Very Happy

And I don't want to put words in BBB's mouth, but I think she was suggesting that instead of a CELTA. A reasonable option if you are thinking of staying in Mexico indefinitely.
j_nmi_rutledge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I don't want to put words in BBB's mouth, but I think she was suggesting that instead of a CELTA. A reasonable option if you are thinking of staying in Mexico indefinitely.

ahh, i see. well, i think i will stick with the CELTA for now because of its broad appeal. we don't know what our long-term plans are. we might end up jet-setting one day. i crack myself up.

congrats on the almost 10 years! that's more than a little awesome. Very Happy
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
donato wrote:

If you plan to stay in Mexico, you might want to look into doing a Teacher�s Diploma that is recognized by the SEP (Mexican Education Department) as that is now a requirement for pretty much any school you might want to work for outside of language schools. The best ones are the CELE through the Language Center at UNAM and the Teacher�s Diploma at the Universidad Panamericana. The same gentleman runs the language center at both places, and most of the materials are the same as the CELE I took the course at Panamericana, and it was an excellent course. It includes 220 hours of instruction, class obervations and observed practice teaching.

I have been telling folks the same thing for years... Remember you asked me about that before, back in the "day".

I was a champion of the so-called "Teacher's Diploma" in Mexico as few schools outside the language mills even know what a CELTA is and most of them confuse a TEFL with TOEFL...

CELE is the best diploma a teacher can have in Mexico, hands-down. Many colegios will NOT hire you without a CELE and it's much more important to hold a CELE instead of a CELTA in Mexico.

A CELTA in Mexico is in many respects, a waste of time and money.

A SEP recognized "Teacher's Dip" is a much better route to take.

Or do a CELE.

CELTA is the better option if you plan to start teaching in Mexico and then possibly move on to other countries...
j_nmi_rutledge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CELTA is the better option if you plan to start teaching in Mexico and then possibly move on to other countries...

Hi Prof.

well, that's the thing. i am working on a 2 year plan at the moment. we don't know what our long-term goals are just yet, and it could be that after 2 years we move on. so i hope the CELTA truly won't be a complete waste in Mexico. i hope that it will allow me to start earning a living while exposing me to the field so that i can determine if 1. i want to work in TEFL and 2. if we want to stay in Mexico.

this is just a first step. so since i may not stay in the teaching field, and we may not stay in Mexico, it seems like a reasonable first step.

if i do stay in the teaching field, and we do stay in mexico, then i would definitely pursue Mexican teaching certificates.

does this not seem reasonable and prudent to you?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_nmi_rutledge wrote:

BadB - thanks for that info. something i will def look in to. 220 contact hours sounds like a lot (in terms of trying to get it in this summer on top of the CELTA and job hunting). i wonder if it is something i can wait to do after i've tested the waters a bit...

I was suggesting you do the Teacher�s Diploma instead of, not in addition to. It covers more ground than a CELTA, and in case I didn�t mention it before, it is targeted at language teachers, so is similar in a lot of ways. That will be more valuable to you, long term, IN MEXICO, than a CELTA. If you think you might teach somewhere else later, maybe just do the CELTA.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:

I'm coming up on my 10th anniversary and a large part of the success of my marriage has to do with our ability to be apart.

Very Happy

Indeed, in both instances.
PaulSal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:

Prof Gringo- you mentioned that Celta would probably be the better option if one were possibly thinking about using this Celta in other countries.

If one were to get their Celta Certificate from Mexico, are you saying that this would transfer easily to other schools in other countries?

I know that this thing gets issued from Cambridge University in England, but theres also the apostille consideration.

Let's say you earn the certificate in Mexico, the certificate is issued from England, but yet it should be apostilled in Mexico?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: