Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Philippines: The world's budget English teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: The Philippines: The world's budget English teacher Reply with quote

An interesting article from the BBC:

The Philippines: The world's budget English teacher

(I wasn't sure if this should go on the Philippines forum or general one. It seems more general to me regarding ESL teaching)
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I've heard about this before, and if Phillipino teachers have what it takes to compete with (other) Anglophone countries,why shouldn't they?

(not that you were implying they shouldn't, kpif)
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you're right why shouldn't they?

However, maybe it's due to:

- Ignorance that they are native speakers
- People thinking their English is not the same as the more well-known native English speaking countries (UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand etc), and that it is inferior.

These aren't my own opinions by the way.

For ESL teaching jobs in Japan, Korea etc do Filipinos have any problems? I'm sure they're not looked upon so favourably as people from the listed countries above. But, due to my ignorance I am not sure.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that quite a few Koreans go to the Phillipines instead of to the more expensive Anglophone countries for a few months studying English full time.
The article you cited is mostly about the 'language tourists' outside their own countries.

I've no idea whether a Fillipino English teacher is welcomed in Asia - I'd guess probably not so much. It would be pretty difficult for a Fillipino teacher to make it in Europe (where my experience is) or in North America.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read the article (yet) but I do have a significant number of Filipino teachers on my staff as English speaking teachers.

Against them is the simple fact that most Filipino teachers are NOT native English speakers. In Thailand, as an example, they are required to present a TOEIC (or other English proficiency score) as part of their visa requirements.

I have received applications from and done interviews with far too many who could not string a sentence together to save their soul.

That said, there are also a large number who are highly proficient in English as well as being very well educated (B.Ed, M.Ed with various specializations and years of experience under their belt).

Would I hire more Filipino teachers = the answer is certainly yes.

The only caveat I would make is that there should be no blanket policy when it comes to hiring. Each position is filled with the best candidate for the position and nationality does not play a part in that process.

Proficiency, training and skills have to be looked at on an individual basis.

The problem is that in many countries, the HR person is not adequately trained or themselves proficient enough to make such a selection, hence the blanket policies that some immigration departments have in regards to who can and who cannot be an "teacher of English" or "English speaking Teacher" or the issues of English teachers who can't speak English (China is a big example).

scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many in Saudi Arabia because the locals there want a FRANK standing in front of them ! I know of institutions that hired Filipinos as teachers but then had to sideline them as secretaries because Saudi students reacted negatively to having a Filipino teacher.

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:07 am; edited 2 times in total
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:

- People thinking their English is not the same as the more well-known native English speaking countries (UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand etc), and that it is inferior.

Here in the Glorious Motherland there are more than a few people who think that English from any country that's not England (including the US, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Australia) is inferior. Of course, these are always the people who can't tell the difference in the first place.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Japan, they make less money as ALTs than native speakers do.
They might get 170,000 yen a month.
They could work at elementary schools or at junior high.

The local boards of education then save money. Saitama likes to employ them. Saitama is just north of Tokyo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: