Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Adults in Taiwan...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaiFeng

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
KaiFeng wrote:
As you correctly note, permission should be sought, ideally.

Yes, it should, especially in these hard times when so many young Taiwanese graduates are jobless and Taiwan is looking for scapegoats. Compared with Korea, Taiwan is a bit of a soft touch, but be assured they'll start executing the law more rigorously when the austerity really kicks in.

At the end of 2012, this is certainly one of many possible future outcomes, but only one. Naturally, if we are serious about our business, such risks are one thing we must consider and mitigate. I understand you attach import to this possibility. I started my consulting practice during the martial law years, which inclines me to a different perspective on risk. Plus, I witnessed several periods when foreigners of dubious legitimacy were expelled en masse, depleting the island of many of its foremost buskers, teachers of children, waitresses, and hairdressers. That�s business; market environments change. More broadly, and I direct this observation to all readers of this thread, we should consider opportunity at least as much as we consider risk. Otherwise, we might as well as stay home and teach ESL in community colleges or local high schools.
romanworld

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaiFeng wrote:
I'll be visiting Taiwan for a couple of weeks' hard-earned vacation this month, and cannot wait to see old friends and clients and bookstores again!

What I can't fathom is why you left Taiwan if it offers up so many "opportunities"? Was the prospect of staying there too "risky" or was it simply a matter of not being paid enough?

And why on earth would anyone visit Taiwan when there are so many other wonderful alternatives in the region? Taiwan doesn't have the fabulous beaches that you find in Thailand, or the great food you find in Hong Kong, or the spiritual attractions of Cambodia, or the babes of the Philippines. Taiwan is simple a giant factory spewing out filth and pollution. I just don't get you?
KaiFeng

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
KaiFeng wrote:
I'll be visiting Taiwan for a couple of weeks' hard-earned vacation this month, and cannot wait to see old friends and clients and bookstores again!

What I can't fathom is why you left Taiwan if it offers up so many "opportunities"? Was the prospect of staying there too "risky" or was it simply a matter of not being paid enough?

And why on earth would anyone visit Taiwan when there are so many other wonderful alternatives in the region? Taiwan doesn't have the fabulous beaches that you find in Thailand, or the great food you find in Hong Kong, or the spiritual attractions of Cambodia, or the babes of the Philippines. Taiwan is simple a giant factory spewing out filth and pollution. I just don't get you?

Re visiting: I have friends and colleagues I enjoy seeing. I have decades of positive memories. I have books to be copied and re-bound for my personal library of Chinese history and Classical Chinese language study. I have many awesome restaurants and bookstores to visit. I plan to hang out at the Nat. Pal. Museum and savor the scrolls, paintings, jade, handicrafts, and (especially) rare books. I plan to visit some old clients. I�m not sure two weeks is enough!

Re moving to the states: I often ask myself the same question! I came back for our kids only; they would have better professional prospects speaking fluent English and passable Mandarin and going to any business or medical school, than speaking fluent Mandarin and passable English and going to the best business or medical schools. I did not want them to have the same professional limitations so many of my clients did due to language. Some people plunge in front of cars, catch bullets, or run into burning buildings for their kids; I merely incinerated one career and started another. Others have sacrificed more.

That�s okay, R., we don�t have to get each other. Your posts have made me think, and perhaps I have been able to return the favor.
kurtz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@KaiFeng Very nice reading your posts. It's great reading the words of wisdom of an old-pro like yourself. Nice use of double speak.

Taiwan seems to provide a lifestyle that might suit me, but the teaching scene might not be happening. I'm after working with adults with no evening or weekend classes.
romanworld

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaiFeng wrote:
I have books to be copied and re-bound for my personal library of Chinese history and Classical Chinese language study. I have many awesome restaurants and bookstores to visit. I plan to hang out at the Nat. Pal. Museum and savor the scrolls, paintings, jade, handicrafts, and (especially) rare books.

I can respect this. You are there focused on a specific project which is obviously both meaningful and fulfilling and gives you a good reason to be in Taiwan. Unfortunately, folks like your good self are few and far between in Taiwan. Many have just got stuck in a routine that is comfy and they drift aimlessly into old age. Occasionally they get together at the locals disco-pubs and share stories about the good ole days. You can always tell how bored these people are by how far back they have to reach for glory: "Remember . . . remember how fast I used to be when I was a sperm? Hahaha . . . I'll never forget the day of the big race . . . there were millions of us in the field . . . but I beat them all to fertilize that egg, Mr! Back in the cervix I was Seamen First Class." I could never really tolerate these good ole boy stories and chose to depart swiftly, eventually leaving the country bound for a place where the eternal now was far more exciting.
KaiFeng

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
KaiFeng wrote:
I have books to be copied and re-bound for my personal library of Chinese history and Classical Chinese language study. I have many awesome restaurants and bookstores to visit. I plan to hang out at the Nat. Pal. Museum and savor the scrolls, paintings, jade, handicrafts, and (especially) rare books.

I can respect this. You are there focused on a specific project which is obviously both meaningful and fulfilling and gives you a good reason to be in Taiwan. Unfortunately, folks like your good self are few and far between in Taiwan. Many have just got stuck in a routine that is comfy and they drift aimlessly into old age. Occasionally they get together at the locals disco-pubs and share stories about the good ole days. You can always tell how bored these people are by how far back they have to reach for glory: "Remember . . . remember how fast I used to be when I was a sperm? Hahaha . . . I'll never forget the day of the big race . . . there were millions of us in the field . . . but I beat them all to fertilize that egg, Mr! Back in the cervix I was Seamen First Class." I could never really tolerate these good ole boy stories and chose to depart swiftly, eventually leaving the country bound for a place where the eternal now was far more exciting.

Good reading, man! Glad you too have found your way. I know exactly what you mean about the local discos and pubs. I always thought it was ridiculous to go all the way to the other side of the damn planet just to hang out with other Westerners!
123Loto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread. Well done KaiFeng!
PaulJam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot about this.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Atreyu, thanks for the schools.

A friend of mine gets paid a salary of 100,000NT a month doing IELTS prep so yeah, as I said, it's possible. That's what I really want to do, in Taiwan preferably.

Trying to get a TEFL job here in London at the moment is like being the guy in Saving Private Ryan who has the German guy on top of him slowly inserting a knife into his chest.

OK, maybe a bit of an over-reaction but ya get my point Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PaulJam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, calmed down a little re: the London situation and almost definitely decided to return to Taiwan.

Most companies seem to want an interview face-to-face. They recommend just coming on a visitor visa (UK passport holders automatically get 90 days), getting a job and having the company convert the visitor visa to a resident visa. Is this as straightforward as it sounds? Because my old company, Shane, does all that stuff for you....hence my ignorance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: