Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learn a language in just 22 hours (spread over 10 weeks)!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fluffyhamster: A bit unfair on Benny! This guy is the real deal. His projects are "missions" not promises or something he does to get applause. If you take the time to look through his blog, http://www.fluentin3months.com/ you will realize that his goal is not to achieve perfection but a means to an end in as much as that he usually follows up with a cultural mission in the new language, using it to chat naturally with natives. As far as I can see, he achieved that in Chinese.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil. I can only go by what I've read on Chinese-forums (where the overall consensus seems to be that he'd bitten off a bit more than he could really chew with Mandarin. I think Benny's main mistake though was in joining those forums in the first place and laying out his plans there for "critical appraisal" LOL). I've browsed his website briefly before, but I'm not really qualified to judge his ability in other languages. His Chinese conversations, such as they were, seemed to be confined to talking about the language and its basic learning ("This is difficult. That isn't easy, either!") and little else. Anyway, "missions", did somebody order him to learn languages? Then, can one really be motivated enough to take a stab at so (too) many? And why the rush rush rush in doing so nowadays, coupled with the apparent aversion to much (i.e. sufficient) formal study~materials? Hardly a recipe for absolute success. But it's obviously in his interests to suggest otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: