Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visa available in Hong Kong? Anyone recently get Z visa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlobetrekkerESL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Z Visa available in Hong Kong? Anyone recently get Z visa? Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find a real answer as I'm finding unclear conflicting info. I'm reading that Z visas must be applied for in your home country if you don't have a residency or work permit in Hong Kong or another country. The schools and recruiters are instructing teachers to go on a visa run to Hong Kong after getting a medical exam in China since Z visas are expensive and difficult to arrange in the US and England.

I'm unclear on this and would greatly appreciate some clear info. This is probably something everyone teaching in China needs to know and be updated on. Hopefully there are no new problems or restrictions.

Also, it seems that medical exams had to be done at a HK public hospital or have some sort of China quarantine service clearance instead of bringing a medical exam from a Chinese hospital.

Can you guys help me clear up the confusion? Thanks.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently done the visa run to HK for my Z-visa, but I was already in China.
Are recruiters/schools suggesting that you come into China on a tourist visa and then do a visa run to HK? If that's the case then I would be wary about doing that. You should be able to get all the documents (invitation letter/medical) ready in your home country and then come straight in without the hassle of doing visa runs.
If schools are saying otherwise it's because they just want to get you here and have a look at you first, see if you are worth the expense of arranging a Z-visa for. Or there could be any other number of reasons.

But the legitimate way is to come in with all your documents sorted out, get a Z-visa in your passport on arrival, then get it converted to a residency permit within 30 days.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comes down to the wording on the invitation letter. If the letter says apply in HK then all is cool. if the letter omits this crucial phrase then all maybe is not ok.

the letter comes from the foreign expat bureau

i have made TWO visa runs to HK since I came here and both times the letter had this written.
doogsville

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'snotmyfault wrote:
But the legitimate way is to come in with all your documents sorted out, get a Z-visa in your passport on arrival, then get it converted to a residency permit within 30 days.

No, you should get the documents sorted out in your home country, then get the Z visa in your passport from a Chinese embassy or consulate in your home country, then get the residency permit within 30 days of arrival in China. The Z visa is the visa that allows you to enter China in order to finish the process of applying for an FEC and a resident permit.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
it'snotmyfault wrote:

No, you should get the documents sorted out in your home country, then get the Z visa in your passport from a Chinese embassy or consulate in your home country, then get the residency permit within 30 days of arrival in China. The Z visa is the visa that allows you to enter China in order to finish the process of applying for an FEC and a resident permit.

yes, my mistake
natjones

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm in hong kong now and can answer your question.

Yes, you can still get a z visa from hong kong without applying from your home country. I've seen 3 people do it.

HOWEVER:
It depends on the province.

I personally have heard that Guangdong, liaoning, and Hebei will not issue z visas to applicants outside their home countries or who have arcs in the countries they apply from.

Anhui and hubei will. I have physically gone to the visa office and seen applicants get their z visas.

There is a report from at least 2 people that their medical checks at embassy approved hospitals in Taiwan were rejected because a new rule says that they can only get a medical check from hong kong.

Hope that helps!!
Mr.Engrish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the visa run 5 months ago and had zero problems.....

I'm in Inner Mongolia... while I was in the line up there were several other people from different parts of China; which province? I didn't ask.
GMark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy,

I'm in China now, and I'm finished with my present contract. I have to do this visa run to HK soon to take up my next job. Can someone please give me a rundown on the documents they required, and how long it took?

Thanks in advance.
sistercream

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had to do this myself, but had two friends come down over the last 6 weeks or so to get new Zs. Don't know about documents, but their experiences, having taken their stuff to the Commissioner's Office at the same time:

Time taken - the UK national applied for the "rush"/ 24hour service and had it done not only on time but for HKD300 less than the official price for her nationality.
The guy with the Schengen zone passport was told he wasn't eligible for expedited visa issue and had to wait for the usual 3 full working days, but the visa was issued on time, for the regular fee of HKD200.
GMark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, sistercream.
haopengyou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to HK on 10/21. I had been in China on a tourist visa that I had extended once in Shanghai. I was applying for another tourist visa and was told that I had to return to the U.S. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: