Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living/working Macau - salary between 20K-30K. Acceptable?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tiger Beer



Joined: 08 Feb 2003
Posts: 754
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Living/working Macau - salary between 20K-30K. Acceptable? Reply with quote

Is a salary of somewhere between 20K-30K enough to live on in Macau? How does salary/cost-of-living compare to next door mainland China?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat_chris



Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 2532
Location: Chengdu, Sichuan, PRC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Living/working Macau - salary between 20K-30K. Acceptab Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
Is a salary of somewhere between 20K-30K enough to live on in Macau? How does salary/cost-of-living compare to next door mainland China?


I can't answer this as I've never been to Macau, but I would be interested in looking at teaching positions at the University of Macau some day.

By 20K-30K, do you mean 20-30K in patacas/month? 20K-30K in USD/year?

I'm wondering the same thing actually.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tiger Beer



Joined: 08 Feb 2003
Posts: 754
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Living/working Macau - salary between 20K-30K. Acceptab Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:
Is a salary of somewhere between 20K-30K enough to live on in Macau? How does salary/cost-of-living compare to next door mainland China?


I can't answer this as I've never been to Macau, but I would be interested in looking at teaching positions at the University of Macau some day.

By 20K-30K, do you mean 20-30K in patacas/month? 20K-30K in USD/year?

I'm wondering the same thing actually.

Warm regards,
fat_chris

It would be paid in patacas, but I converted it into dollars.

So, yeah, 20K-30K in USD/year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doogsville



Joined: 17 Nov 2011
Posts: 563
Location: China

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they don't use the American dollar in Macau, it would be much more useful to know what your monthly salary is in MOP. Macau can be quite cheap to live in and also quite expensive, like anywhere else really. Comparing it to the 'next door' mainland is also not easy, since the mainland is so huge and full of very, very different places with different costs and standards of living. As a rule of thumb, most employers will pay you enough to live on while you work for them. Those that don't tend to lose employees.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sistercream



Joined: 18 Dec 2010
Posts: 487
Location: Pearl River Delta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, from your post in the HK forum, I had assumed you were talking MOP20 - 30K per month, which is how salaries are expressed locally.

If you care to give a figure in the sort of money we use use down here, it will be easier to answer the question. Maths isn't my strong point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tiger Beer



Joined: 08 Feb 2003
Posts: 754
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sistercream wrote:
Sorry, from your post in the HK forum, I had assumed you were talking MOP20 - 30K per month, which is how salaries are expressed locally.

If you care to give a figure in the sort of money we use use down here, it will be easier to answer the question. Maths isn't my strong point.

MOP 160,000 to 236,000.

That's the range. I'll update that on the HK one as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tiger Beer



Joined: 08 Feb 2003
Posts: 754
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
Since they don't use the American dollar in Macau, it would be much more useful to know what your monthly salary is in MOP. Macau can be quite cheap to live in and also quite expensive, like anywhere else really. Comparing it to the 'next door' mainland is also not easy, since the mainland is so huge and full of very, very different places with different costs and standards of living. As a rule of thumb, most employers will pay you enough to live on while you work for them. Those that don't tend to lose employees.

MOP 160,000 to 236,000.

Part of the problem for me, is I make almost double that in Japan. However, it really isn't easy to live cheaply in Japan. You can avoid going out altogether, which stops hemoragging money. But, you'll still spend a lot doing very little here.

I did make a lot less living in Seoul than Japan, and I seemed to have a similar rate of savings. So, I don't mind making less money, if the cost of living allows me still save a bit. The wages in Macau are less than what I made in Seoul though, so thats a concern.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Solar Strength



Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 552
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
I make almost double that in Japan. However, it really isn't easy to live cheaply in Japan.

I did make a lot less living in Seoul than Japan, and I seemed to have a similar rate of savings. So, I don't mind making less money, if the cost of living allows me still save a bit.


I think you just hit the nail on the head.

It's often NOT a question of how much you make! Rather, it's a question of how much you spend.

For instance, and as you allude to in your post, most TEFL teachers in Japan earn more than their colleagues in Korea, however, they spend more, too. So even though TEFL teachers in Korea earn less, they can often save more than English teachers in Japan since they often receive free accommodations and airfare - and even free lunches at school! Yeah, they earn less money, but Korean TEFL teachers typically have lower costs of living - often much lower.

So it's really a matter of how much you end up having to spend in your target country.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sistercream



Joined: 18 Dec 2010
Posts: 487
Location: Pearl River Delta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have posted my two cents' (avos') worth in the HK forum thread.

Short answer is that although I have a very soft spot for Macau, I wouldn't move back there unless I was earning >MOP15K per month.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goeducks



Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: macau salaries Reply with quote

The biggest issue is housing. ( I am in Macau) Because of the casino and hotel construction going on-housing is tight and rents are definitely increasing.

If your school is providing housing, the 20k is great, if not, look at half of your salary going to rent. (close estimation) If you are open to sharing an apartment, then of course you can adjust the cost accordingly.

good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC