Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banning L1 from the classroom
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voldermort

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinatimes wrote:
Quote:
Between student and student all language is L1.

I think that is kind of unreasonable, considering they leave your class and speak L1 for the rest of the day and before your class.

Perhaps, you can set up a location plan where students pretend they are in an English speaking city or country and must use only English. Make up some character, Patrick from Ireland, Angus from Australia ( Razz ), and then say, "Patrick doesn't understand you guys, can you keep it in English?"

The fact you taught them in L1 to begin with establishes they don't need L2 to communicate with you. It's like if I wanted "mango" juice, I would just ask you, "Hey, do you know if they sell orange juice around here?" I wouldn't be motivated to bring up a more difficult word. I would just go to the store you said orange juice was at and see if mango juice was there also.

Teaching pure beginners, 9 year olds, using only L2 is quite challenge. Sure you can give a sentence structure and use flash cards but how are you going to explain things like the differing forms of 'to be'? I'll leave that kind of teaching for the backpackers.

I've become a popular teacher within the community simply because I can explain the grammar and vocabulary usage using L1 in a much easier to understand manner. As soon as they have got the basics down, I wean them off my using L1. It's a slow process but has proven successful.

The next stage is an L2 only environment for the 2 hours a week that I see them. Like you said, it's not an unreasonable request.

I don't have the problem you mentioned with regards to using more difficult words. I always encourage them to use vocab not in the book, and they know full well that by doing this they will gain higher scores in my tests. Remember I have known these kids for a long time. They feel comfortable trying out new things. When asking "How are you?" I never get the "I'm fine thank you, and you?" reply. It's more like "Oh, you know, my homework...".
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voldermort wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:
Have you taught them classroom language? And recycled it? Assuming you have, and they still revert to L1, then maybe it would be better to just accept that this is how they are going to learn. At least they should be able to benefit from classroom language lessons when speaking with you or another teacher.

So long as they are focused on the lesson and target language, using L1 to clarify spelling etc among themselves, it may not be as bad as it seems.

Perhaps you missed my previous post. Between teacher and student all language used is L2. Between student and student all language is L1. This is the behavior I'm trying to adjust. Their English level is at the stage where they no longer need to fall back on L1.
At first, I myself misunderstood the original post but after re-reading I apprehended the meaning and replied. To me, foreign teachers teach English or specialty subjects in L1 and require students to follow-up in L1 as well. L2 can be taken as two languages, not just as the second langauge.

On the topic, I agree that teaching in English only is a challenge and that it has to be introduced and practiced accordingly. This habitual way improves the fluency and efficiency when the language is used. If young learners do not master the skill, they'll most certainly have to face obstacles when using the language at later stages of their lives. The most reasonable questions are; "What does the word xxxx mean"? "How do you write the word xxxx?" "Can you explain the word xxxx?" "What does past tense mean?" Kids need to know the questions are just another kind of a word game.
zactherat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Englishgibson wrote:
L2 can be taken as two languages, not just as the second langauge.

L2 means the speaker's second language. Other languages would be L3, L4, etc. ranked according to fluency. In the event that one considers additional languages spoken at the same level, frequency of usage and pronunciation can be used. L2 isn't an 'umbrella term'.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zactherat wrote:
Englishgibson wrote:
L2 can be taken as two languages, not just as the second langauge.

L2 means the speaker's second language. Other languages would be L3, L4, etc. ranked according to fluency. In the event that one considers additional languages spoken at the same level, frequency of usage and pronunciation can be used. L2 isn't an 'umbrella term'.

Laughing Laughing
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The L1-L2 address above has not considered the fact that L1 may be used as a term in classrooms where teachers teach in one language. The disorderly delusion that on other kinds of topics one of my coworkers uses as well is offensive to me and I assume it's inconsistent with guidelines we endorse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: