Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gowump

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Radom Reply with quote

Hello. I have been teaching English in Radom for almost two years, personnally I don't find it that bad, and I was wondering if anybody has anything to say about this city.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Gowump,

Yes, I have something say about it. Where is it, please? What is it like? what's the population? Is there any pollution? Is it mountainous or not? Are you in the industrial south? Do you like your position? Is the school OK? Would you recommend it school and town? Are there any expats around?
OOOOooof. That's all.

Regards
khmerhit Very Happy
Albulbul

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: RADOM Reply with quote

Let me see -

You have been there for two years.
You want US to tell YOU about it ?

Is this a wind-up ?
Gowump

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No this is not a wind up. The only reason I ask is that people all over Poland believe it to be one of the most dangerous cities and I was just curious to hear what other teachers in Poland have heard or think of this city.

KH- Radom is approximately 100km south of Warsaw. It used to be an industrial city with a large gun factory (anywhere from 10 000-15 000 people, depending on who you are speaking to) and a large leather manufacturer. Now the gun factory employs approx. 400 people and the leather plant is closed. Unemployment is quite high. But the people are friendly and there seems to be a positive turn in the economy.
dtomchek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Radon Reply with quote

Hey:

Yeah, I spent 3 months in Radom when I was in the Peace Corps. We trained down there (3 months to be exact). I still go back periodically to see some people there I am very close to.

Radom has some great people but the town is god awful to look at. Nothing interesting there to do and see. The main attraction to the place is your ablility to go other places. Warsaw, Krakow, and Lublin are all within shouting distance of the place.

I also hear it has really gone down hill. It is not suppose to be safe though I have had no problems myself.

Dave
Gowump

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Thanks for your honest reply. Personally I think Radom is on the upswing. Maybe I am just being optimistic. Next time you are in Radom look for me having a beer on Zeromskiego at the patio in front of the park. I will be the only English speaker there, or ask the waitress about me she can sms me.
dtomchek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey:
No problem mano! Stuck in Tokyo this summer doing a seminar so I will not be heading back until next year (wedding to attend). How long have you lived there, how long will you stay there, and for whom do you work?

Be Ghenki
Dave
Gowump

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

I have lived here for almost two years, plan on spending another year or two. Last year I worked for City College but had to return home for a couple of months because of two herniated discs in my back. I am now working for EF just opened in September, very good people. I will have a cold Debowe Mocne waiting for you. Cheers

Gord
dtomchek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He:

I asked because we had 2 PC volunteers working there. One worked at the best high school in the city (supposedly) and the other worked at the Teachers Training College there. Neither had anything bad to say about being there. Most of the rest of us were glad to get out of the place. I was in Czaplinek which is a small town (about 7,000 people) located in the northwest part of the country.

If you don't mind my asking, how much is the going rate these days. We in the Peace Corps got about 1400zl a month to live on plus a free apartment. Just curious about a comparison!!!
Gowump

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting 2500PLN a month plus free accomodation. That does not include some privates on the side. For Warsaw or Krakow this is not very much, but as you know, Radom is not Warsaw or Krakow. Prices here are still quite cheap. A beer at the shop costs 2-2.5PLN. Dinner out can cost you 10PLN (drinks not included). So all in all it is a good salary. The one drawback is you must pay for your phone bill. Be very careful it is f**king expensive.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Corporate EF policy is to fire people for teaching privates. And yes I do know people who have been fired from EF for teaching privates. How you find the time to teach privates when EF own you for 36 classes a week is beyond me.

About phone bills: get telephone scratch cards from the post office. Then you use them to call mobiles and long distance in Poland and all international calls. I pay less to call England using the scratch cards than I would for long distance inside Poland. Calls to Japan are 87% cheaper using the scratch cards than with TPSA. Personally I have a mobile for all Polish calls (4 hours 20 minutes a month of calls is 200PLN, extra mountes 0.6PLN each) and use scratch cards for international calls (rarely more than 50PLN a month).
Gowump

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex

I do not work as many hours as you have stated. I was in the fortunate position to negotiate my contract with them because they were in desperate need of a native speaker. As for privates it is really a language exchange Wink In regards to telephone, I don't even have a home phone anymore. I have a mobile and if anyone from overseas wanrs to talk to me they call me. I send an e-mail telling them when the best time would be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: