Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in out of the way places
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep looking you will find what you want. I am in the middle of nowhere and it works for me. Nothing to do here means there are no temptations for spending (wasting?) money. I can catch a local bus and be in the mountains within 30-45 minutes so hiking is a definite option.

BTW: I went through a recruiter and she delivered exactly what she promised in every way.

DirtGuy
milkweedma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirt guy, which recruiter was so good? PM me if need be. cheers.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not post the name of the good recruiter? posters have no qualms about naming the bad ones.
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me find it first. I'm looking. I may have deleted all the e-mails from her once I got the job.

DG
Teacher Jack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a beautiful very much out of the way small city with tree lined streets, fresh clean air, beautiful blue skies, where heavy traffic is more than 10 cars in front of you, where buses run on time and cost 1 RMB, where there isn't much to do for nightlife, but the bicycling is great and the food is awesome.

The funny thing is that it's tough for them to find teachers out here. I went through Angelina's for this job. No lies and they made it work.
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Etty Chan at www.chinavacancies.com.

DG
milkweedma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an offer for a middle school in Xuzhou but if I do some calculations it would seem the amount of potential cash that I will generate as Bachelor degreed native english speaker with 6 years of ESL experience pales in comparison.

The offer:Middle School. 20 classes per week or 20 hours per week (its not clear). Salary is 8000RMB pm and 1500RMB pm during summer and winter vacation periods. 5000 flight reimbursement. Free furnished apartment(unshared I assume). 200 pm utility allowance.

My friend told me that 40RMB per kid per class is on the low side. 50 is average.
So: 40 kids per class multiplied by 40RMB is 1600RMB per class.
and multiply that by 20 classes a week is: 32,000RMB
and multiply that by 4 weeks in a month is: 128,000RMB a month.

Question: Is this offer (and most offers around China, ripping us all off to the absolute maximum or what? Love to read your comments.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milkweedma wrote:
I got an offer for a middle school in Xuzhou but if I do some calculations it would seem the amount of potential cash that I will generate as Bachelor degreed native english speaker with 6 years of ESL experience pales in comparison.

The offer:Middle School. 20 classes per week or 20 hours per week (its not clear). Salary is 8000RMB pm and 1500RMB pm during summer and winter vacation periods. 5000 flight reimbursement. Free furnished apartment(unshared I assume). 200 pm utility allowance.

My friend told me that 40RMB per kid per class is on the low side. 50 is average.
So: 40 kids per class multiplied by 40RMB is 1600RMB per class.
and multiply that by 20 classes a week is: 32,000RMB
and multiply that by 4 weeks in a month is: 128,000RMB a month.

Question: Is this offer (and most offers around China, ripping us all off to the absolute maximum or what? Love to read your comments.

50rmb per kid sounds ok if you are doing your own small private classes
eg 6students=300rmb an hour.
But you said this is a public school job, so there's no private language school boss making money out of you.

A private school I know of sends teachers out to elementary schools to help "complement" their curriculum.
Each student pays 10rmb per lesson 40 students =400rmb
Teacher and teaching assistants wages, around 100rmb per lesson.
They do it on quite a big scale, so the profits soon add up.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milkweedma wrote:

why are you being ripped off? if you like the offer, accept it. you won't
be ripped off. if you don't like the offer, don't accept it. you won't be
ripped off. another native speaker will take the position without feeling
ripped off.

it seems english teachers be overestimating the value of "white face,
breathing, not too fat, speaks english." 8K seems to be the going
rate for 20 hours. that's the market rate. that's what you're worth.

you may, in fact, be worth even less. if enough economic refugees
drift ashore, schools may find it possible to hire native english
speakers for 4K/20hours. unpleasant, but that's how this market
works.

supply, meet demand.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milkweedma wrote:
Love to read your comments.

So, did you love reading our comments? Smile
milkweedma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking forward to some analysis and/or realtime experiences. Granted, it's usually the private sector that seeks to make a disproportionately sized profit as is the case everywhere, and China has no labour market regulation to prevent contracts being 'misinterpreted' to their advantage either.
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from my first trip to Beijing and now I can compare it to living out in the sticks.

My whole thing is how much money can I have in my bank account at the end of the month vs. the size of the check from the school. It looks like I do better being in a smaller city than I ever could in BJ but for an interesting, and perhaps personal, reason. The pay is higher for gigs like mine in BJ and there are lots of outside jobs. Problem is that the costs are WAY higher and temptations are aplenty. Not a bar person or anything like that, but breakfast cereal from America? Check. Ballroom dance lessons and parties? Check. Interesting lectures in English? Check. Pretty much all the activities I used to enjoy back in the States are at my disposal in a big city but enjoying them means not saving. None of the above are available where I am so most of what I make goes into savings.

Something to think about when choosing a place to live. Of course, you and I are different and your mileage may vary but you get the idea.

DirtGuy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: