Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Papers needed for teaching English in Mexico?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvintage7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Papers needed for teaching English in Mexico? Reply with quote

I am wondering how hard it is to get papers(visa) to teach in Mexico.
I am interested in going to a small town called San Andres Tuxtla to study the traditional music there and am hoping to find a job as well teaching English. Is it ok to just go to Mexico and deal with the paperwork once you are there or should it be sorted beforehand? If so, any input into the process?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the new visa rule changes are being discussed at this thread:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=99140

For now, it seems unclear as to whether you can process any such paperwork for work from within Mexico, though the consensus seems to lean on the side that you'd have to start the paperwork at a Mexican consulate or embassy nearest you, outside Mexico.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An acquantaince left Mexico last June. And just returned the last week in November. She was dismayed to learn that she would not be able to process a new visa from within Mexico. They gave her 60 days as a tourist.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
An acquantaince left Mexico last June. And just returned the last week in November. She was dismayed to learn that she would not be able to process a new visa from within Mexico. They gave her 60 days as a tourist.

It looks like language schools in Mexico are going to have to think of new strategies for hiring foreign teachers legally. No more walk-in-off-the-street hires.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They gave her 60 days as a tourist

Did that change, too? The tourist visa was 180 days.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Quote:

I haven't heard it had changed. I thought everyone was still getting 180 days.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
johntpartee wrote:
Quote:

I haven't heard it had changed. I thought everyone was still getting 180 days.

Oh, surely not! At least i certainly hope not. I haven't heard of a change from the 180 days anywhere else. A change to 60 days would throw a monkey wrench into the works for a lot of people. Dare we hope that this friend's 60-day visa is because of some unusual circumstances?

reddevil79

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in contact with the person in question, and it seems that she was up front with immigration from the word go about her intentions and stated that she would be looking for work. Of course with the changes now in place this won�t be possible, so it could be that the immigration agent was suspicious and only gave her 60 days. Originally she was only going to get 30 days, but managed to persuade the agent to up it a little more.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddevil79 wrote:
I have been in contact with the person in question, and it seems that she was up front with immigration from the word go about her intentions and stated that she would be looking for work. Of course with the changes now in place this won�t be possible, so it could be that the immigration agent was suspicious and only gave her 60 days. Originally she was only going to get 30 days, but managed to persuade the agent to up it a little more.

The new policy is supposed to provide you a 30 day visa if you've already started the work visa paperwork before entering and declare that upon entry.

So getting 60 days without having started the process from outside Mexico seems to give her a bit of extra time to sort out affairs to leave...I'd be interested in knowing if she manages a way around this and processes the papers inside Mexico.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
reddevil79

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing this person over the weekend, so I'll try to get an update Wink
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to tell her to just get married already. Laughing
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I, for one, would be very curious to know what was notated on her FMM regarding her intention to pursue employment in Mexico, after entering the country visa free. That part of your statement which I italicized represents an open question at this point, as I see it, and her history may help shed light on it: this is so because the new law does not specifically limit the scope of visa free entry, and may include entry to take a post (or, may not, as we shall see).

Those of you who read my comments in other threads about the possibility of INM allowing such visa free entry, upon declaration of intent to work, can understand the significance. The difference in this case, however, is she did not have a job offer in hand, whereas I was speculating about what might be done if you did have, at the time of entry.

Please try to get full details about what was notated on her FMM regarding intent and purpose of the visit.

If she was given permission to enter to seek work, she should try at all costs to get the application for temporary residency based on employment filed within 30 days of entry to stay within the letter of the law and improve chances of this approach being honored.

Last edited by Tretyakovskii on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
MotherF wrote:

It looks like language schools in Mexico are going to have to think of new strategies for hiring foreign teachers legally. No more walk-in-off-the-street hires.

Or they will go back to the bad old days when everyone just worked illegally.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: