Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Positive things about Vietnam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kurtz



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 400
Location: off the radar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VietCanada wrote:
kurtz wrote:
I do believe you're half Vietnamese and thus are unable to view any issues that foreigners might have in Vietnam objectively.

I don't care about Seinfeld.

It's human nature to moan rather than say what a nice day it is. Your last sentence is stating "the bleedin' obvious" to quote a rather funny character in British comedy.


I'm a Canadian of European ancestry. I never watched Seinfeld until the the reruns came out. Even then I only watched it because it was the only thing on at that time. The final episode was only of interest because the callous cast runs afoul of the NYC law that had been enacted at that time.

IIRC NYC made a law to encourage people to help out at accident or crime scenes to some degree. I think it was in response to widely publicized incidents of entire neighbourhoods ignoring the screams of victims and refusing to talk to the police after.

It's wildly absurd to claim this country is different than NA or anywhere else based on personal anecdotes.


I do believe this is about Vietnam, so what's with the US reference? You gave an example of entire neighbourhoods in the NYC ignoring screams, now I wonder what neighbourhoods are they? Everyday ones or ones with people too scared to leave their homes? More information needed. Also, at least they are doing something about the problem.

Here's a question for you. Would you rather be left on the side of the road in NA, or in Vietnam if there was equal health care and emergency services on hand? Go on, answer truthfully.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VietCanada



Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 305

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
VietCanada wrote:
kurtz wrote:
I do believe you're half Vietnamese and thus are unable to view any issues that foreigners might have in Vietnam objectively.

I don't care about Seinfeld.

It's human nature to moan rather than say what a nice day it is. Your last sentence is stating "the bleedin' obvious" to quote a rather funny character in British comedy.


I'm a Canadian of European ancestry. I never watched Seinfeld until the the reruns came out. Even then I only watched it because it was the only thing on at that time. The final episode was only of interest because the callous cast runs afoul of the NYC law that had been enacted at that time.

IIRC NYC made a law to encourage people to help out at accident or crime scenes to some degree. I think it was in response to widely publicized incidents of entire neighbourhoods ignoring the screams of victims and refusing to talk to the police after.

It's wildly absurd to claim this country is different than NA or anywhere else based on personal anecdotes.


I do believe this is about Vietnam, so what's with the US reference? You gave an example of entire neighbourhoods in the NYC ignoring screams, now I wonder what neighbourhoods are they? Everyday ones or ones with people too scared to leave their homes? More information needed. Also, at least they are doing something about the problem.

Here's a question for you. Would you rather be left on the side of the road in NA, or in Vietnam if there was equal health care and emergency services on hand? Go on, answer truthfully.


Neither. Serial killers are everywhere. But I think and it's been my experience as a foreigner in a few countries that I have a better chance of being helped out in a country where I am a visible minority than my own country where everyone would probably figure I'd know what I'm doing.

You said that VN people are more likely to ignore a countryman in distress. The NY law proves that people of all races are equally likely to do so.

Political meetings in all neighbourhoods of the world and the closeness of housing in parts of the world including Europe cause people to know their neighbours better than the big lots in NA. This increases the likelihood that a crime being witnessed will be reported to the police since those people (in close quarters and actively involved in the community and so they know their neighbours) are less likely to be concerned that they are calling the police on their next door neighbour for instance which could put them in danger. This is or should be common knowledge.

I haven't lived everywhere in VN and it's safe to assume you haven't so your wild inductions based on a couple stories are just plain wrong. You are fear mongering.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kurtz



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 400
Location: off the radar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VietCanada wrote:
kurtz wrote:
VietCanada wrote:
kurtz wrote:
I do believe you're half Vietnamese and thus are unable to view any issues that foreigners might have in Vietnam objectively.

I don't care about Seinfeld.

It's human nature to moan rather than say what a nice day it is. Your last sentence is stating "the bleedin' obvious" to quote a rather funny character in British comedy.


I'm a Canadian of European ancestry. I never watched Seinfeld until the the reruns came out. Even then I only watched it because it was the only thing on at that time. The final episode was only of interest because the callous cast runs afoul of the NYC law that had been enacted at that time.

IIRC NYC made a law to encourage people to help out at accident or crime scenes to some degree. I think it was in response to widely publicized incidents of entire neighbourhoods ignoring the screams of victims and refusing to talk to the police after.

It's wildly absurd to claim this country is different than NA or anywhere else based on personal anecdotes.


I do believe this is about Vietnam, so what's with the US reference? You gave an example of entire neighbourhoods in the NYC ignoring screams, now I wonder what neighbourhoods are they? Everyday ones or ones with people too scared to leave their homes? More information needed. Also, at least they are doing something about the problem.

Here's a question for you. Would you rather be left on the side of the road in NA, or in Vietnam if there was equal health care and emergency services on hand? Go on, answer truthfully.


Neither. Serial killers are everywhere. But I think and it's been my experience as a foreigner in a few countries that I have a better chance of being helped out in a country where I am a visible minority than my own country where everyone would probably figure I'd know what I'm doing.

You said that VN people are more likely to ignore a countryman in distress. The NY law proves that people of all races are equally likely to do so.

Political meetings in all neighbourhoods of the world and the closeness of housing in parts of the world including Europe cause people to know their neighbours better than the big lots in NA. This increases the likelihood that a crime being witnessed will be reported to the police since those people (in close quarters and actively involved in the community and so they know their neighbours) are less likely to be concerned that they are calling the police on their next door neighbour for instance which could put them in danger. This is or should be common knowledge.

I haven't lived everywhere in VN and it's safe to assume you haven't so your wild inductions based on a couple stories are just plain wrong. You are fear mongering.


What is this babble? You didn't answer my question properly so I'll drawn my own conclusions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oh My God



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 269

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
What is this babble? You didn't answer my question properly so I'll drawn my own conclusions.


Yes Colonel, we will endeavor to follow your lead. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LettersAthruZ



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 458
Location: North Viet Nam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really makes me throw up in my mouth a bit to concur with Kurtz's point.......but.....

....having either resided in or traveled for more than two months in The U.K., Ireland, Canada, The U.S. and Australia (haven't been to N.Z. or S.A. YET), I had seen accidents in EACH of these nations and have seen people (normal bystanders) there DROP EVERYTHING AND RUN TOWARDS the accident victim....be that victim African, Asian, or Caucasian!

Can't say, in five+ years in Viet Nam, that I have ever ONCE seen that happen......

Sorry, VietCanada....we are NOT talking about a New York City CRIME SCENE here, rather, a motorcycle accident....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
deadlift



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 261

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I've seen an accident here in HCMC, the injured party has received assistance.

One of my colleagues tells a story of crashing into a three wheeled motorbike-truck thing and launching into space. He regained consciousness in Cho Ray and was told that the driver of the truck had transported him there in the bed of the truck.

Another colleague was robbed of his wallet and bike while unconscious. I just mention that to pre-empt the wails of "rose coloured glasses".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team


Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Posts: 6013
Location: Anxious? Stressed? Repeat the following 300 times daily: A wet robin never flies at night.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postings deleted and thread locked due to derailing, irrelevant and off-topic postings targeting specific nationalities in pursuit of personal and biased agendas.

If you were involved in posting such inappropriate comments, you may assume that your future postings will be given special attention to insure compliance with board policies, rules and guidelines.


Board members observing postings of the type described above are requested to report them to the Mod Team by PM or Report Post as soon as possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC