Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

visa regs as of Nov 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellrobinson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: visa regs as of Nov 2012 Reply with quote

I saw an article with yet more discouraging information on visas:
http://www.echinacities.com/expat-corner/updated-guidelines-for-obtaining-a-chinese-visa.html
A copy-paste from the article:

Work (Z) visas
1) In your home country
As with the other visas, you're going to need a bevy of documents to apply for a Z visa, the most important of which are your invitation letter and a Foreign Expert Certificate (外国专家证申请表 ) and/or Foreign Employment License. According to the Rule for the Administration of Foreigners in China, the Foreign Employment License is granted by the Chinese government provided you have all the necessary documents and meet five criteria: "(1) 18 years of age or older and in good health; (2) with professional skills and job experience required for the work of intended employment; (3) with no criminal record; (4) a clearly-defined employer; (5) with valid passport or other international travel document in lieu of the passport" (http://www.china.org.cn/english/LivinginChina/185194.htm).

The Foreign Expert Certificate is essentially an upgraded version of the Foreign Employment License. According to the same website, the Foreign Expert Certificate is given to "foreign professional technical and managerial personnel employed directly by the Chinese government or those with senior technical titles or credentials of special skills recognized by their home or international technical authorities or professional associations to be employed by Chinese government organs and institutions and foreigners holding Foreign Expert Certificate issued by China's State Administration of Foreign Expert Affairs."

Also, don't forget about the health check, same as for the X visa. And depending on your line of work, in certain special cases, you may also need additional materials, such as a commercial performance document. And if you have family coming with you to China, they'll also need to provide an invitation letter from a "Duly Authorized Unit" or a "Confirmation Letter" as well as proof of kinship (i.e., marriage certificate and birth certificates). Also, like the X visa, you'll have to apply for your residence permit within 30 days of your arrival in China.

2) Currently living in Mainland China and applying for a Z visa in Hong Kong?
Last but not least, if you're looking to get your Z visa in Hong Kong, it's still possible to do, however the process is now significantly more difficult. In addition to the previous application processes and requirements, currently, the only way to get a Z visa in Hong Kong is if you have a Foreign Expert Certificate document (外国专家证申请表 ) issued by the State Administration of Foreign Expert Affairs (国家外国专家局) that says "Hong Kong" (香港) on it. The good news is that your employer is the one to apply for this certificate for you; the bad news is the government only issues a limited number of these certificates for Hong Kong each year. More bad news, expats with certain jobs (a chef for example) are unable to apply for a Foreign Expert Certificate (they apply for a Foreign Employment Permit). Consequently, these expats are currently unable to apply for a Z visa in Hong Kong and must instead do so back in their home country.

-----------comments?-------------
Ariadne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the FEC is not part of the visa procedure. Invitation letter, work authorization form, application... yes. Once you are in country on the Z your employer will secure the FEC. Once they have the FEC they will then trot you down (or sometimes do it for you) to the PSB to get the Residence Permit for Foreigners put in your passport. The RP acts like a visa and you can then travel in and out of China whenever you want. I have never needed a physical exam before coming to China but I know that many people have to get one. If you do or not, your employer will take you to a hospital or clinic to get a physical exam in China. It's usually much cheaper to do it in China so avoid doing it beforehand if you can, especially since you will likely have to get another one in China anyway.

However... this is China. Things vary from place to place and moment to moment.

chinatimes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was something I understand in May they started to enforce. If it is reaching your neighborhood now, you have had 6 months, but the pressure is on the school not you to submit the files to authorities in China.

If you change provinces it might be a bigger issue, but if you are changing schools in the same area, you can just transfer. I am looking for a new school and all recruiters don't seem worried I will leave and return later.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure i'd go by that article, seeing as they seem to be listing the
wrong form. they say you need a 外国专家证申请表 (Foreign Experts
Certificate Application Form). but that seems to be the form the
school will use to apply for your FEC after you've arrived.

you may view one here: webadmin.safea.gov.cn/pic/jjs/wjzsqb.doc

methinks they mean the work permit (外国专家来华工作许可证).

like this: http://www.fltacn.com/upload/1198261908.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: