Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Really not having much luck .......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revenger2013

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:

Go on, apply to Liverpool. It's a fantastic city as you probably already know. Not dissing Wigan, but I know where I'd rather be.

Comparing the 5th biggest city in the UK to a medium sized town is not a fair comparison - why don't you compare Kitchener to Ottawa or
Wagga Wagga with Canberra? And if we are being fair - there are far better places to do a course than Wigan and Liverpool.
revenger2013

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Wigan ? Read what Eric Blair/George Orwell had to say about the place in "Road to Wigan Pier"

Read about what the Eton/Oxbridge educated toff wrote about the working classes?

Wigan is a great, working class town that has produced some great people and done great things. We punch above our weight. Cool
revenger2013

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
scot47 wrote:
Wigan ? Read what Eric Blair/George Orwell had to say about the place in "Road to Wigan Pier"

And furthermore, their side in the EPL is absolutely dreadful!

Second to bottom of the league table at this very moment! Such a state!

Warm regards,
fat_chris

If you knew anything about 'soccer' you would know that Wigan isn't a traditional 'soccer' town and Wigan Athletic has been in the football league for a very short amount of time - since 1977 - 35 years - so for them to get to play in the top tier in that amount of time is nothing short of amazing. Absolute 'fail' on 'soccer' knowledge. Very Happy
fat_chris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revenger2013 wrote:
If you knew anything about 'soccer' you would know that Wigan isn't a traditional 'soccer' town and Wigan Athletic has been in the football league for a very short amount of time - since 1977 - 35 years - so for them to get to play in the top tier in that amount of time is nothing short of amazing. Absolute 'fail' on 'soccer' knowledge. Very Happy

Thanks fer sharin' ... 'ppreciated.

Umm...I was commenting on Wigan Athletic in the year 2013, hence, my use of the simple present tense and the phrase "at this very moment".

...been in the Premier League since 2005. Good job Wigan Athletic! But yer still bottom of the table...oh wait, now in 17th place! at this very moment.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
revenger2013

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
revenger2013 wrote:

Thanks fer sharin' ... 'ppreciated.

Umm...I was commenting on Wigan Athletic in the year 2013, hence, my use of the simple present tense and the phrase "at this very moment".

...been in the Premier League since 2005. Good job Wigan Athletic! But yer still bottom of the table...oh wait, now in 17th place! at this very moment.

Warm regards,
fat_chris

Yes, but Wigan aren't that bad a side at all, they will probably stave off relegation again but in the great scheme of it all, they have done remarkably well to be where they are. The facts are, there are three teams who are capable of winning the premiership, everyone else really does make up numbers. Saying that the team is 'absolutely dreadful' when there are another 3 divisions below them is hyperbole at best.

It is a medium sized English town with little or no traditional support for 'soccer' (it is traditional a rugby league town) and whatever 'soccer' fans are from there usually support Manchester United or Liverpool (as lots and lots of Scousers live in Wigan) but this is changing slowly.

Wigan are doing OK - what's your team?
fat_chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revenger2013 wrote:
Yes, but Wigan aren't that bad a side at all, they will probably stave off relegation again but in the great scheme of it all, they have done remarkably well to be where they are. The facts are, there are three teams who are capable of winning the premiership, everyone else really does make up numbers. Saying that the team is 'absolutely dreadful' when there are another 3 divisions below them is hyperbole at best.

It is a medium sized English town with little or no traditional support for 'soccer' (it is traditional a rugby league town) and whatever 'soccer' fans are from there usually support Manchester United or Liverpool (as lots and lots of Scousers live in Wigan) but this is changing slowly.

Wigan are doing OK - what's your team?

I'm just windin' ya up, Wigan. Many apologies for that.

I'm just a bloody Yank, so I don't really have a team.

I do appreciate learning more about Wigan Athletic and Wigan in general. Again, many thanks for sharing it. I do try to loosely keep up with football-related info from Europe from time to time.

Best of luck in the remainder of the 2012-2013 EPL campaign.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augustus wrote:
And to top it off .... They have decided not too offer me a place on their course. I feel thoroughly insulted!

And this is where the "120 hour on-site TEFL course with 6 hours observed teaching with feedback" and 100% pass-rate come into play. Far less stress and you also get a nice shiny TEFL to hang on the wall or to show employers, cause we all know that a 120 hours makes you a real teacher, CELTA or not Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: