Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deionised water (steam ironing)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robfir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Deionised water (steam ironing) Reply with quote

Hello!

I've bought myself a nice new steam iron, but I don't want it to start spraying that white stuff they will tend to spray if filled with tap water (calcium carbonate I think?).

So I'd normally use deionised water (mainly sold to consumers for this purpose and for filling old car batteries). It typically looks like this in the UK

[img]http://www.autopaint-pro.co.uk/ekmps/shops/autopaintpro/images/carplan-5l-de-ionised-water-230-p.jpg[/img]

So, does anyone have any idea where I might find this in HCMC? I could try asking a mechanic if/where he gets his if no one here knows of a shop, also I read elsewhere that a tattooist uses distilled water to dilute ink (deionised water is not the same as distilled water but either would do fine for this purpose).

I did buy a litre of "nuoc cat" from a chemical store in District 10, but it just came out of a huge unlabelled tub, and though I hope nuoc cat is Vietnamese for distilled water apparently it can mean coconut juice so.... I'd be bold to claim I knew what I've a litre of really!

There are steam irons in every big supermarket I've seen here, and I'm told kettles do accumulate hard white deposit eventually here, so I'm pretty hopeful that I'll find something if I know where to look!
Jbhughes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nước cất is distilled / deionised water. The stuff that is used in batteries. (The online dictionary I use doesn't seem to distinguish between the two in Vietnamese).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the people in a shop selling exclusively irons wouldn't have a clue about this stuff and just used normal water.

You actually sound like you've got all the bases covered already, Robfir. If what you've already got doesn't work (and I can't really see how it could be anything related to coconuts), then the only other thing I'd suggest is a medical / laboratory supplies store. I've used them before to find weird things that foreigners want that the average VN wouldn't need for day to day life. Can't offer you an address in HCM, sorry.
skarper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use the purified water from the big bottles - works ok. unless you have a really expensive steam iron I don't think it matters much really - by the time the calcium builds up the iron will be broken anyway.
robfir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, the nuoc cat is sounding more reliable by the minute! Let's see how I do...
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: