Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

edit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daveyboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: edit Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by Daveyboy on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely my opinion based on... speculation... and watching both of them over the years.

Zayed has two branches only. It is newer than HCT and took a slightly different direction. Basically they have managed to get more of the top students... and best teacher applicants over the years. HCT has always leaned towards the British system while ZU was started by some Americans from UAEU. Not that either of them are purely one or the other, of course.

I suspect that most of the reason that ZU has remained a better place to work is that it is smaller and never became as horrendously "over-managed" as the giant HCT system has. At HCT the cure for every problem has been more management... when there have been too many layers of management since way back in the early 90s. IMHO the cure should have been cutting management in half thus freeing up the budget to hire more teachers and expand the curriculum. Through the years they have had some fantastic teachers with great ideas to improve the system... which have all been ignored while the management talked and talked and talked... mainly coming up with ways to make the teachers' jobs more difficult without ever improving the standards of the education the students received.

VS
secretsquirrel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS has hit the nail bang on the head. It's the differing management cultures that make them so distinct. HCT prefers 'fear and loathing' in all its forms and at all levels. And ZU don't!
Geronimo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More background is available on both the HCT and Zayed University
in articles appearing in "The National", Daveyboy.

Here's a link to a recent one...
http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/education/zayed-university-to-take-aim-at-qs-world-rankings

Also, you might be interested in a brief presentation of the
HCT's provost's views on vocational education by the BBC...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19690260

Geronimo
Noelle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear OP

I teach in the Gulf currently (outside UAE) with quite a significant number of ex-HCT employees and I can assure you I have heard absolutely nothing worth repeating here as it is all negative. There are a fewer number of teachers working with me who came from ZU, where they worked for 5 to 10 years between the lot of them, and their stories are much more positive. No surprise there.

Why did they leave ZU? If you could see where we currently work, you may understand. The grass seems to always be greener on the other side of the border. But it was not because ZU was a bad work environment. Were I given the choice between these two employers, I would beg, starve and decompose on the streets before I would choose the former over the latter.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noelle wrote:
Were I given the choice between these two employers, I would beg, starve and decompose on the streets before I would choose the former over the latter.

That made me laugh. Laughing I'm sure someone would pick up the remains rather quickly and mail them back home.

That is just a bit extreme. I do still have friends who have been there many years and while they would be the first to tell you that things were better in the past, in their opinion, the good still outweighs the bad... for them. Of course, it all depends on which branch one teaches in...

As always, it depends on personal tolerance for management silliness... Cool The stuff that convinced me to leave after 2 contracts were considered inconsequential to most of my friends that stayed. But, yes... some branches are a nightmare..

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: